Fly Tying
dontheo

Liquid Larva Lace

Has but anyone tried any of the "liquid Larva Lace"? I bought some and it is quite a challenge using it. I was able to load it with baby oil as suggested but can't seem to do a good tie off and trim without getting in to quite a mess, literally. I was wondering if it might work for dry flies as well with the oil? Any words of wisdom? Their wesite gives lots of pictures but is kind of hard to understand the tying process.

Thanks

Ted

PS: For anyone who knows me you know I am always down on any synthetics. I just couldn't resist this one! Be kind :).

I think if you seal the end that your not cutting it doesn't leak out??? Maybe you did that already? But if the end is open when you cut the other end it will leak out but if you seal the end opposite of the one you're cutting it shouldn't leak out too fast I would think?? Kind of like putting your finger over the end of a straw.... Other than that I would think maybe you could tie off, then take a clamp (small hemostats or something) and clamp it right above where you cut so it would be totally sealed when you cut it.

The correct way to fill is using a 29 ga 1/2" needle and syringe ( for large, medium and midge liquid Lace) you poke one end into the tubing. Tye a loose over hand knot in the other end . squeeze the syringe until the fluid comes out the other end. now snug up the knot. you tye you fly using the other end of the tubing. you'll find that if you stretch the tubing in the first couple of wraps and then releases the tension on it; it builds in diameter rather quickly and builds a beautiful segmented body. Ed and I will be tying and the International Tying symposium this year demonstrating some of it's uses and very productive fly's for the 2 of us.

You can also find tips for using it on my website (www.tyingsupplies.com)

By the way, As far as I know , I'm the only one that sells it pre-loaded with oil. I feel that strongly about it's capabilities!

For a synthetic (and like you, I'm kinda down on synthetics as a rule) , I kinda like Larva Lace. I does give nice segmented bodies. I experimented with the oil thing about 20 years ago and didn't find any difference in catch rate between flies with with or without, and so gave up on oil.

Another trick you can do with Larva Lace is fill it with flashabou or similar. Far less messy than oil.

I bought a good supply of Liquid Lace and found its use fairly straightforward. It did help me a lot to have the owner of the Liquid Lace product line show me the ropes. His name is Ed Smith

and there is a fair amount of support on his web site at www.liquidlace.com

Have a look at the gallery of photos of flies he as well as others have tied there.

I fill my Liquid Lace as described above and tie a small overhand knot tightly at each end. No mess or fuss. If I am tying a lot of flies with it i use a hemostat to keep the open end closed while the other end stays tied shut.

Hope this is of some help.

For a synthetic (and like you, I'm kinda down on synthetics as a rule) , I kinda like Larva Lace. I does give nice segmented bodies. I experimented with the oil thing about 20 years ago and didn't find any difference in catch rate between flies with with or without, and so gave up on oil.

Another trick you can do with Larva Lace is fill it with flashabou or similar. Far less messy than oil.

I rather doubt Liquid Lace today is the same thing as you used back then. For one, there are more sizes and colors to choose from.

I have used Larva Lace too, and for some things I still do. However with the mineral oil I use I can also add colors of my choice to the oil as well as choose between a lot of different sizes and colors of the product. I normally use holographic tinsel as well as color markers on the hook shank for great effects to simulate what I am trying to tie. Having the ability to so rapidly spin a tapered body on the Nor-Vise is a good thing as well.

just a user, no self interest at all...

I rather doubt Liquid Lace today is the same thing as you used back then.

If i remember correctly it was called "Liqui Lace", a product introduced by Mike Tucker of Colorado

I rather doubt Liquid Lace today is the same thing as you used back then. For one, there are more sizes and colors to choose from.

I have used Larva Lace too, and for some things I still do. However with the mineral oil I use I can also add colors of my choice to the oil as well as choose between a lot of different sizes and colors of the product. I normally use holographic tinsel as well as color markers on the hook shank for great effects to simulate what I am trying to tie. Having the ability to so rapidly spin a tapered body on the Nor-Vise is a good thing as well.

just a user, no self interest at all...

I still use Larva Lace regularly, there have always been several sizes and a wide range of colors. From what I've seen Liquid Lace is pretty much the same thing (although it may have a different cross section.) As you point out, it's stretchy and allows for a tapered body. I'm not at all knocking it; I'm a satisfied user, but I don't see any practical benefit to adding oil.

The oil does 2 things that will be noticed right off of the bat. 1. it refracts the light or color that is placed under the Liquid Lace. In other words it makes the colors more vibrant and richer. 2. it doesn't allow it to fully collapse and actually because of the knot in the one end; it grows in diameter as you wrap it up the hook shank due to hydraulic pressures that are built up in the tubing. This is why you can achieve the beautiful tapered bodies. lastly, if you look at an empty piece of Larva lace, liquid lace, Stalcup tubing or any other hollow tubing for that matter you'll find this: a solid outside, a hollow core, surrounded by a solid out side and it almost looks opaque. By filling the tubing , you are making it solid and taking the cloudiness out. you can now see colors more clearly and it doesn't collapse. did that make sense? It kind of has the same effects as fiber optics. And yes Fly tire is correct, it was originally developed by Micheal Tucker from Colorado. Ed Smith bought him out and redesigned the product from it's original form and made it much better as far as the stretchiness and the colors that he has added. One thing that Ed is working on is a new Translucent Black which I'm looking forward to getting my hands on for my chironomids and stonefly patterns. He says that it will be the first translucent black on the market and not to be confused with grey or smoke. I find that a lot of people confuse this product with Larva lace but, It's just not the same I tell you.

Thanks to all. I still get the oil all over the place but the trick is the pressure when winding. As you ease up going forward it gives the fly the shape you want.

This stuff is awesome.

T

I have tied flies with this material without any problem. I insert the needle at one end, and when the oil comes at the other end I knot that other end (the end without the needle). When tying the fly I secure the end without the knot against the hook. This way when I stretch the material the oil cannot come out to make a mess. I wrap it easing the stretch as I go up the hook then secure it with a knot.

rather use swannundaze it was made in insect colors, I still have over 1000 packs in my shop.

1-6-2011 013.jpg

1-6-2011 014.jpg

1-6-2011 015.jpg

1-6-2011 016.jpg

1-15-2010 011.jpg

1-18-12 002.jpg