Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ChuckingFluff

Failed Hopper

I can't figure out how to get the dumb thing to float. I used foam and elk hair and it floats for 10 seconds then slowly sinks beneath the surface. Any would suggestions would be appreciated.

dscn5249a.jpg

I think you have more "sinky stuff" than "floaty stuff". Try making the whole body out of foam, or at least put some under the green body material you used.

A question...are you using sheet craft foam (like from Wal*Mart or something) or stuff that is designed for fly tying?

Because I baught some craft foam from wally world, and it actually does more to sink the stupid fly than float it. Maybe this could be the case?

It's craft foam and theres foam on the hook under the "sinky stuff". What's a good name brand for foam?

Jan we don't have wally world but I like the name.

Oh sorry....my bad. Wally world is Wal*Mart...but you might not have one of those? I get my foam from hairline, they make some great stuff.

well first thing is the foam under the green stuff probably isn't doing much of anything because it is bound in by the green stuff and compressing it causing it to lose its bouyancy also I noticed its on a pretty heavy hook also I'm not sure what the green stuff is but it looks like it might take on water instead of sheading it might try using a green craft foam strip and wraping it in for the abdomen

Is the Yellow body material furry foam or Chenille, try a yellow closed cell foam. I would offer to tie one and send, but I do not have any bench time in the future.

Cheers, Futzer.

I agree with RRSHS and Futzer. Try using a good closed-cell foam and don't compress it too much

when you are tying it and the other materials in, you'll just collapse all the cells and it won't float near as well.

I use 2mm thin fly foam.

Mike

Don't throw it away. With the right retrieve you can still make it look like the last gasp of a drowning bug. I agree with what has been said above, the heavier hook and chenille might be the down fall.

Even with the correct foam as suggested several times, IMHO at least part of the issue of the hook weight and the chenille combining to drag the fly down has to do with the length of the chosen hook shank. I'd expect that the amount of materials in the wing would not be enough to keep the rear of the fly from pulling the rear of the fly down changing the attitude of the fly in the water. Up to a point this can be a benefit. If Live2fish's suggestion doesn't save the day, perhaps a shorter hook shank would also help.

Paul thanks for your offer, I can't wait to see it and thanks for all the replies. I will take everything into account and try again. The next one will float. Don't worry I'll fish this as a flopper. Jan thanks for clarifing what wally world is. I think when I went to the US you could get a hand gun at wally world, long long time ago. We can only get paint ball guns up here.