Fly Tying
Old Hat

Spey Bugger

I know...I know...it's not a "spey" fly, but I tie to cast on a spey rod. Never had a name for it so it is the best I could come up with. I heard John Shewey speak a few times and he always said that steelhead are too beautiful a fish to be caught on an ugly fly. Buggers work, but I think are on the ugly side, so I had to fancy it up a bit. I posted a couple other colors that the fish like on the database page.

Thanks for all the comments. Like all buggers the color combos could be endless. Unlike other buggers, this pattern definitely fishes better on the dead drift and swung. I have never done well with it stripping. I just don't think it pushes the water like a bugger with stiffer hackle.

Carl - Did you strip off one side of the cock hackle, or did you leave the fibers on both sides? I like the density of the hackling and was curious about you method.

Carl - Did you strip off one side of the cock hackle, or did you leave the fibers on both sides? I like the density of the hackling and was curious about you method.

Yes - I should have mentioned that. I did strip one side of the hackle to decrease the density. I think that is only way to go with spey hackle unless your tying with really fine heron sub or the like.

Its a spey fly in my viewand I really like that one OH. May have to try that on mine for Ohio steels.

Old Hat, I am just getting around on this forum now and this fly caught my Eye I really like it and I have to really have to give it a try.......Nice Fly Well Done.....

FlySlinger

Its a spey fly in my viewand I really like that one OH. May have to try that on mine for Ohio steels.

Old Hat, I am just getting around on this forum now and this fly caught my Eye I really like it and I have to really have to give it a try.......Nice Fly Well Done.....

FlySlinger