Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishAholic85

What Rod do you use for Pike?

Nothing like a BIG flie screaming past your head doing mock chicken and nearly ripping it off :shocking: on its way to the water. Then you begin stripping it like madman, only to have your rod smashed so hard, it nearly pulls you off the dock....... This is Pike hunting at its finest.

Well I love fly fishing for Pike.

But my setup is on the weak side for chasing those water wolfs.

I currently have a Berkley Enforcer 7/8wt rod with an Amundson TXS 7-9wt with Rio Classic 8wt. type 6 line and a Okuma Cascade 7-9wt reel with Wal-mart special floating line (9wt.).

So I thought this winter I will do some research and get a good setup for pike.

Loop makes a specie specific rod called the Pike booster which seems to get rave reviews from across the pond.

But I would like to know what you pike hunters here use.

And hear your thoughts/ suggestions on it.

Pike rods...

A 10 weight Lefty Krey signature series 2 piece ( a little bend to it but thin and strong)

An Okuma 2 piece 10 weight ( light as a feather and stiff as a broom handle )

A 2 peice 10 weight Phleuger ( a little heavier than the Okuma but stiff too)

Lastly was a bad purchase.

A 2 piece 10 weight Ugly Stick fly rod.

A few independent reviews stated that it wasn't nearly as heavy

as you would think for an ugly stick.

When I got it delivered and took it out of the tube,

Ohhhhh my gosh!

I don't care how big you are. You could never cast with that thing

for long without damaging your joints.

It's tough as nails however and sits in storage as a backup

should I need it.

Mine is a S/A 10wt fiberglass rod and a 4 1/4 in. beaulite fly reel made by jw young with a S/A 10 wt sink tip geat setup for pike muskey and salmon bin using it for yearsssssssssssss..

Tight Lines Mike

I use 10 and 11 wts, all Sage, ranging from XP, to TCR, RPLXi ot Xi2. I like em fast! All reels are Tibor and work well. As for lines, I've got too many muskie lines to count and go over. I accumulate, splice, cut, and redo.

Hmmm..... Interesting the majority of fly rods used, seem to be in the 10 wt. range.

So for my next question: Is a 8 wt. to small for Pike fishing?

- Navigator37 I agree with ya on the Ugly stick fly rods they are built like a tank and weigh about the same. (If I where only Arnold in his prime :crying:. Then I would buy one if I could find one)

Have you tried the TiCR or Axiom from TFO?

Sage is nice also, but I have a Sage 4 wt. and a Scott 5 wt. and I would probably get a Scott if I had to pick between the two (A3 8 wt. 10' all the way :headbang: ).

So many hard choices :wallbash: ....... Good thing I got all winter.

as embaressing as it is that I own a orvis rod, CAUSE ORVIS IS A RIP OFF COMPANY the rod was given to me. I use a #9 t3 saltwater with a Lamson Velocity 3.5 large arbor and 10wt. pike line the line is great for turning big flies

Nothing like a BIG flie screaming past your head doing mock chicken and nearly ripping it off :shocking: on its way to the water. Then you begin stripping it like madman, only to have your rod smashed so hard, it nearly pulls you off the dock....... This is Pike hunting at its finest.

Well I love fly fishing for Pike.

But my setup is on the weak side for chasing those water wolfs.

I currently have a Berkley Enforcer 7/8wt rod with an Amundson TXS 7-9wt with Rio Classic 8wt. type 6 line and a Okuma Cascade 7-9wt reel with Wal-mart special floating line (9wt.).

So I thought this winter I will do some research and get a good setup for pike.

Loop makes a specie specific rod called the Pike booster which seems to get rave reviews from across the pond.

But I would like to know what you pike hunters here use.

And hear your thoughts/ suggestions on it.

It depends on how big of flies and fish that your casting and how big the fish are that you are catching, I do have a TFO spey #9 also that rock;s honesty sage is my favorite but their warnty suck's a big fat one. They don't replace the rod they repair them ,so in my history with sage is that the repaired rods have no back bone to them and feel really noodleee and if you call them and complain ---- the next time you send a rod in they will claim that it never arrived as they did with my 5 piece #3 slt I have never gotten that $630 rod another rod to consiter is G loomis GL3 tha is their low end rod but what a bitch rod it is. plus for $50 bucks they will send you a brand new rod the day you call and then you return your broken ron in the tube with pre paid shipping..... upstanding company

Hmmm..... Interesting the majority of fly rods used, seem to be in the 10 wt. range.

- Navigator37 I agree with ya on the Ugly stick fly rods they are built like a tank and weigh about the same. (If I where only Arnold in his prime :crying:. Then I would buy one if I could find one)

Sage is nice also, but I have a Sage 4 wt. and a Scott 5 wt. and I would probably get a Scott if I had to pick between the two (A3 8 wt. 10' all the way :headbang: ).

Haven't tried the TiCR or Axiom from TFO for pike but have the TICR 4 weight which is a nice rod.

I've used a Sage Graphite 3 8 weight, a sage RP 8 weight and a 10 weight RPLXi for pike. I've caught pike over 48 inches on the 8 weight with no troubles. Catching a 24 inch dink on a 10 weight isn't much fun.

To me it all depends on the size of fly you're throwing and how wind resistant the fly is. After that consider how big the pike may be in your lake. The folks that have muskies hanging out with the pike will always go for the heavier rod.

And that's accurate. I'm a muskie guy who catches the incidental pike, so I go big. I fished pike for a long time with 8's and 9's. But big water muskie call for 10's and 11's all the way.

I use a 8wt custom built CTS blank for my pike fishing and have no trouble with pike up to about 36" and casting flies that are about 4-5" long on a 250 grain streamer express line. I think the 8wt is fine for pike but it really depends on "where" your fishing and what flies your trowing more than the size of the pike. If your fishing rivers and throwing 4-5" flies then a 8wt is perfectly fine. But if your fishing open lakes where wind can be a issue and/or your throwing some BIG flies that are 6" or longer then thats where the 10wt would come in handy.

Steve

Thanks for all your help guys!

I do fish lakes a fair bit for Pike, so a 10 wt. would be nice for those big flies and windy days. But like buggybob said "Catching a 24 inch dink on a 10 weight isn't much fun." :hyst:

And knowing my fishing skill, I would be very happy with a pike that size on a fly. :D Those little rascals make my Berkley Enforcer 7/8 wt. work to get them in. (its like fishing with a noodle)

So I think a 9 wt. would do everything I want it to do, with out feeling like telephone pole.

Whats your guys thoughts on Pike fly line?

Has anyone found one better then another or is it all pretty decent?

Caught them this year on 3 rods a 5wt, 7wt and 8wt all where fun fights but the 5wt was a blast. If throw flies tyed with sythetics can be used on lighter rods. Most 7 and 8wt's have enough backbone to get the fish in quick enough the 5wt was an accidental catch, I was going for smallies :lol2: