Fly Tying
Kevan J. Evans

does anyone else sling mice in colorado?

If I was in colorado I would sling'im. Can see it now, mice flying across the air with bats zooming in for supper. :hyst: seriously.. not yet.

yep i have all way had a love for night fishing with mice, I don't know if you checked out my HD mouse but I believe that it the most realistic mouse out there. I didn't take the time to write down the tying instuctions but I an willing to send them to folk's via e-mail

I chuck em' in Alberta in the evening/night fishing for big browns and bullies

cheers chuckandducker

Certainly a nice mouse pattern. I especially liked your Kuato Arms.

As far as being the most realistic. I think you should do some searching in the database here and throughout the forum posts before you claim that title. Certainly better than any hair I could spin, but there may be some folks here that would like to put their mouse against yours. Maybe a forum mouse off is in order.

as you can tell I'm very confident in these two mice & I'm not try'n to be a dick by claim a title that hasn't been given. I have 7 different nice that have gotten to go around the wolrd{sad to say I was at home as My little guy's got to go by mail] and my poeple around the world still get their mice from me and no one else. The mouse off idea is great though I would have to enter other patternsdue to the fact that the dirt bag's at orvis ripped me off in 05 after winning one of their tying contest, then in 06 the ass monkey's at brookside flied ripped me off for 5 patterns that they cliamed they would pay me royalies on, even after I got their lame little company in with The Fly Shop of Redding they still won't pay & still have me listed as a "royaly tyer" on their web site. So hopefully you can understand why I'm a bit shy about having my recipes just floating around with folks that I don't know. It pretty sad to , cause I love to share but the industry is full of dishonesty.---- thank for the compliment on the legs , but these mice have a lot more than that to offer

As far as being the most realistic. I think you should do some searching in the database here and throughout the forum posts before you claim that title. Certainly better than any hair I could spin, but there may be some folks here that would like to put their mouse against yours. Maybe a forum mouse off is in order.

sorry I had to go back to the data base to collect the name of the pattern that imppressed me, so if these want to go at it against me then i'll do it , not being disresectfull but these guy's & their patterns are invintive tyers that aren't try'n to make new vertion of old crap that isn't even close to a realistic mouse

This may be a stupid question, but I have always wondered why it is common to see mouse patterns and mouse lures. I can see how they all look like 'food' that would ellicit a strike, but do bass and such really eat mice? How do they catch them? Do mice crawl along the tops of lily pads or do they actually swim in lakes and streams? I fish predominantly in saltwater so I am out of my element here

wow that is abig ? I have spent many year study'n mice & how and why I can tell you that bass will take them in a very aggresive manor, I have been fishing them sense an early age, due to the fact that I was taught to spin hair first,as a matter of a fact I was given Dave Whitlock's first article on spinning deer hair way back wene. and my poppers suck, so I tyed alot of mice the pond on our land was packed with largemouths. they ate them all the time so I tyed them all the time. I find great joy in seeing how many different types of fish will take them most bizzar so for was a big ass carp that was feeding top water on a cottinwood seed fall , that one still freaks me out, as far as how mice end up in the water the eazyest way to tell you how it happens is to say that mice climb up on branches and fall sometimes I find them on rivers edge for what ever reason, maybe to eat grasshoppers or what not, but mice are not as sure footed as a mountain goat they are quit clumsey exspecially wene they are youg and curious, sometimes a preditor may be chasing them and they screw up and end up in the water,plus they are one hell of a large meal, so fish will nail them wene they are availible,I have writen a whole article about their life cycle and the importance to the food chain with fish. I don't know how to download it on to this site but I would have know problem sending it to your e-mail

This may be a stupid question, but I have always wondered why it is common to see mouse patterns and mouse lures. I can see how they all look like 'food' that would ellicit a strike, but do bass and such really eat mice? How do they catch them? Do mice crawl along the tops of lily pads or do they actually swim in lakes and streams? I fish predominantly in saltwater so I am out of my element here

Mousing at night for big brown trout is pretty common - especially up in Michigan where I first came across it - guys like Kelly Galloup and Bob Linsenman were I believe among the early users of mouse patterns for big fish up there.

And if you have seen the clips for the new fly fishing video out of NZ that won the Drake award for 2009 - you will see that is all about Mouse fishing in NZ - a once every xx years migration of mice which brings out hordes of huge fish.

so do you? the only kid that would go out at night with me moved back to N,Y so I'm looking for a new partner, I'm in Frisco...

Mousing at night for big brown trout is pretty common - especially up in Michigan where I first came across it - guys like Kelly Galloup and Bob Linsenman were I believe among the early users of mouse patterns for big fish up there.

And if you have seen the clips for the new fly fishing video out of NZ that won the Drake award for 2009 - you will see that is all about Mouse fishing in NZ - a once every xx years migration of mice which brings out hordes of huge fish.

Thanks for the info Kevan. I sent you a PM about the article. I can see how mice could frequently fall in the water, especially with so many predators hunting them down. You're right, they certaintly are not agile creatures. A carp on a mouse pattern is incredible since they are usually vegitarians. I guess fish will eat anything when they are hungry and something looks that appetizing. I have caught a few mullet on plugs when they are feeding in thick schools so anything is possible on the water.

ha y I sent that article over hpoe yo likeit the editors tha I sent it to said it was two diferrent articles, I will spilt them up for them sono

I was watch a Fly Fishing Show on TV a very long time ago. The host and his guide were fishing in Alaska and chucking mice into the river. There were some nice fish caught. I've tossed a couple mouse patterns in Lake Hopatcong with zero luck. I've heard stories of Mice and baby ducks getting slammed on the Delaware River by large fish so do go after them. A mouse or any other small critter will run into a river and swim if given no other avenue of escape from predators.