Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chrismartin

My wife thinks I'm crazy

So I had neglected trimming my beard for a few weeks and it was getting a little long. I pulled out my clippers and went to work. When I was done, I looked in the sink and instead of seeing pile of trimmed whiskers, all I could see were caddis legs... perfect black caddis larva legs. I put the pile of hair in a zip lock and put in with the rest of my materials.

Have I gone to a dark strange place, or is this just part of my natural progression as a fly tier. Am I alone here, or has anybody else used their own facial hair as dubbing.

just cause I'm odd. yes wickers make good tails wene you wish to make differant tails,it's simular to old calf tails, but any way I read this in fly fisherman mag. back in the mid ninties, female pub's it was a very small article called " scent of a woman" try it. The first one I tied was just a clump of it on a hook,it works, but the material is slow growing and may be hard to come by in various colors----------- 100% true

My buddy ties a beaver nymph. Never saw that shade of red in any dubbing or water mammal either. :D

Wonder what beaver that comes from [wink-wink, nudge-nudge]?

just cause I'm odd. yes wickers make good tails wene you wish to make differant tails,it's simular to old calf tails, but any way I read this in fly fisherman mag. back in the mid ninties, female pub's it was a very small article called " scent of a woman" try it. The first one I tied was just a clump of it on a hook,it works, but the material is slow growing and may be hard to come by in various colors----------- 100% true

WHOA! Kevan, TMI dude, and I won't ask where or how you acquired this, But hey, at least you wouldn't have to use any attractants (scents)for that fly, LOL

Just don't hold a scent of a women nymph swap. :crying:

I don't know, I kind of draw the line at using Human stuff..... kind of akin to cannibalism, or that's how it would seem to me.... Not to say anything else is off limits as fly tyers are sick in the head when it comes to acquiring materials but there's just something wrong about lashing said hair to a hook and calling it a fly... whiskers from your face though I could live with.