Fly Tying
Olórin

Tying Expo in Holt Michigan

Just curious... who will be attending the Tying Expo in Holt Michigan on the 5th? I will have a booth and be tying flies; anyone else?

I know that Redwings, Day5, fishigan, Hexfli, two hearted, myself and many more from this forum will be there tying.

john

Good Day,

Check out the GLC website for detailed maps:

http://www.fffglc.org/

Just a short distance from the intersection of 96/127. I am excited for the new location. Should be cleaner, nicer over all, and warmer, plus no lingering smell of livestock... ;-)

Steelie

Will be there tying.

"Fly Tying Stuff"

This year I have decided to work with younger tiers, kids of all ages, at each stop along the winter show circuit. In Holt, I will be leading a class called, "Fly Tying Stuff". It is simply an opportunity to acquaint kids who tie, or would like to tie, with the materials that we often use in our fly patterns. These kids simply need to touch and to have a sense of where all this fluff & feather comes from; to understand where certain furs and feathers can be found on various animals and birds; to understand something about the nature and properties of our materials.

When I watch kids watching myself or others tie, there is a hesitancy coupled with a natural curiosity when they see the stuff we work with at the vise. They simply want to touch the stuff and ask questions. This is very different than handing a kid a plastic 3x4" zip-loc bag with a patch of muskrat fur in it. I have seen kids marvel at the Whiting Farms' mounted birds while Chris Helm is tying long after they've paid attention to Chris spinning a mouse. In this class, I'm going to lay out all kinds of pelts and bird skins and -- more or less -- let the questions fly. I think when first starting out, kids pay much more attention at shows to stuff than to demonstrated techniques -- which are often miles over their heads. Should be a lot of fun. This class will run for 30-45 mins. in the morning and again mid-afternoon.

Thanks.

Great idea, Kev! I'm You're sure to have some older "kids" sitting in on this one, too. I agree, beigining tyers watching experienced tyers work their magic sometimes makes them feel "I'll never get that good". But everyone has to start at the same place in this game, and your sessions should help greatly. As we say in Boy Scouts, "back to basics".

Thanks for diving into this, maybe we'll see more of this type of thing in the future.

One of these years, I'm going to get my family visits to Michigan down to where I can attend the show! I have family scattered between Jackson, Albion and Traverse City. We'll be hitting Albion for Thanksgiving. But, this year during the show I'll end up in Texas for grandson's first birthday. <sigh>

I would love to and had very much planned to, then my entire Saturday--starting about two minutes from now until about 8:00 p.m. tonight, got hijacked by kids' activities. I love my kids, but...damn! Hope everyone enjoys the show. :)