flyrod98

More Yard Birds

Blue Jay and Sparrow

The Blue Jays really like the unsalted peanuts

_MG_6285Blue_Jay2.jpg

_MG_6264Blue_Jay1.jpg

Looking For Aliens

_MG_6281Sparrow.jpg

Deleted the forth photo. After looking at it today, I didn't like it. Looked like a stuffed lifeless bird with out a catch light in the eye.

jays are suckers for peanuts...used to keep a stash of cheap off brand dry roasted nuts around just for the jays in the winter...Growing up in the hardwood forests of Appalachia yielded tremendous bird watching oppportunities....My aunt was a professional photographer and in a wheelchair. Some of her most popular and nationally sought after prints were taken from her bedroom window where she had a feeder attached to the sill. Most people thought the photos were taken deep in the woods...but I digress...beautiful shots. the pic of the sparrow is crisp and accents the bird's aerodynamic lines.

Blue Jays were about the only bird around when I wanted to try out a new Manfrotto 393 gimbal type tripod head, aka the poor mans Wimberly. It is really going to make it easier for me to get on birds quickly from my chair.

Blue Jay in Late Evening light.

BlueJay6340copy.jpg

Hi Flyrod

All really nice photos on the yard birds. All really good close ups. Nice shots!

Got out with the camera for the first time in 2010. This male house finch posed for a shot or two. They are already starting to get dressed up for the girls but this guy needs to clean up his beak. Thanks, everyone for the comments on the earlier shots.

IMG_6448_MaleFinchcopy.jpg

Seeing Steeldrifter's photo of the Downy Woodpecker reminded me I have a couple of firsts for me to add to the collection.

First the Black Capped Chickadee

DPP_0005BlackCappedChickadee.jpg

A Red Breasted Nuthatch. These little guys are like little rockets. The zoom in grab a couple of seeds and they are outta there.

DPP_0001NutHatch.jpg

Ahh, I love birds and particularly the smaller ones. Please keep updating the thread, I really enjoy it. Great pics!

A couple of new birds for me to observe and photograph.

First a couple of shots of the Black-headed Grosbeak

IMG_6788_bg.jpg

IMG_6830_bg1.jpg

Then this little guy with a high cute factor - A Chipping Sparrow

IMG_6804_cs.jpg

You guys are pulling out the cameras when you should be pulling out the BB guns...Soft Hackles anyone?? $10 bounty for the first DEAD Blue Jay pic posted!!

:hyst:

The bully of our feeders. . . The Common Grackle. I wonder how some of those iridescent feathers would look on a fly?

Grackle1.jpg

My spring and summer birding hasn't amounted to much this year. My old hide isn't as tough as it used to be and I am bothered by sores on my arse. I did make one drive to the Poudre River trail. These are the keepers I came away with.

This was a new bird for me. The Lark Sparrow

LarkSparrow-1.jpg

A Western Kingbird

WesternKingbird.jpg

A Bullocks Oriole

BullocksOriole.jpg

A Great Blue Heron. I was really lucky to spot this bird, but I got so excited and didn't pay attention and cut its toes and foot off at the bottom of the frame.

GreatBlueHeron.jpg