Fly Tying
flytyinfreak

C-clamp or Pedastal

How do you secure your vice to the table/desk ?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All pedestal all the time, but I don't tie deer hair. I like the position, the height, being able to move it around, the cuttings go on the table, etc

I have both but seldom use the pedestal, I usually keep a couple of vises clamped to my tying benches, for my travle vise the clamp is much lighter so that's what I use. I guess that by clamping my vise to my portable bench it is more like a pedestal in that I can re-position it wherever I wish.

I have a Renzetti Traveller that I use on a pedestal. I also bought a c-clamp for it 10+ yrs ago and have never used it. Thought I would but I find the pedestal to be stable, more versatile and easily set up anywhere without having to worry about what to clamp it to. Plus, the picnic tables in the Forest Service campgrounds are much to thick for the clamp. It sits in my tying desk gathering dust - at least, that's where I think it is :P

Tim

Moscow, Idaho

I use a C-clamp plus an extension to position it over the catch bag on my tying table. This also brings it closer so I don't have to lean over the table. Also keeps it low so I look through the lower part of my bifocals.

I have pedestals and C-claps, but much of the time I use the most comfortable and inexpensive vise extension I have found. Comfortable is the key word!

I have used the Feather-Craft Econo Vise Extenders for around a year and love them. They swivel and allow you to bring your vise away from the table, desk or whatever you have your tying materials, etc. to a better tying position right in front of you. That's not the greatest explanation, but if you get one, and they are relatively inexpensive, I believe you will love it. Picture and link with explanation from Feather-Craft.com below:

econoviseextender.jpg

Feather-Craft Econo Vise Extender

Econo Vise Extender

ECONO VISE EXTENDER Holds your vise OUT OVER YOUR LAP. The most comfortable way to tye. I'm tying an F-C Sand Shrimp Sr. A waste basket is between my legs. I slip my vise in the VISE-EXTENDER, with my McKenzie BRIGHT-LIGHT on the shaft. I'm sitting up straight, in the most comfortable tying position. So easy on your back. When finished tying, swing it back over the bench. 2-1/4" wide. C-Clamp fits most benches & tables. Fits all vise shafts.

Have tied on pedestal and clamp and will go pedestal all the time for everything from midges to deer hair. Never had the Peak move (when I didn't want it to). I am more comfortable with the vise a little further back on the bench. I don't have to reach past and around it for tools and materials, and I can get the lamp in front of the fly rather than back-lighting it. Plus, as others have said, aside from a few pounds of weight (although I can't say much about the vice when I carry a few extra pounds myself), it will work anywhere, regardless of the edge of the table. As for height, I'm 6' 7", so the vice being too high is not a problem for me - I would actually like to get the extension for the shaft. If ya'll would just grow up, you wouldn't have a problem with the height. ;)

Deeky

I too have tied on both clamp and pedestal and have preferred the pedestal 100% of the time for several years now. Haven't had an issue tying with deer hair and I like being able to pick the vise up to study a fly from any angle.

-- Mike

Have tied on pedestal and clamp and will go pedestal all the time for everything from midges to deer hair. Never had the Peak move (when I didn't want it to). I am more comfortable with the vise a little further back on the bench. I don't have to reach past and around it for tools and materials, and I can get the lamp in front of the fly rather than back-lighting it. Plus, as others have said, aside from a few pounds of weight (although I can't say much about the vice when I carry a few extra pounds myself), it will work anywhere, regardless of the edge of the table. As for height, I'm 6' 7", so the vice being too high is not a problem for me - I would actually like to get the extension for the shaft. If ya'll would just grow up, you wouldn't have a problem with the height. ;)

Deeky

6' 7"???? Thats tall man! :headbang:

I use the same work station BFR has and I love it move it when you want to and deer hair wont move it no matter how hard you tug on it plus my design lets you adjust the vice height which is a big bonus on common pedestal bases with just one turn of a wing nut you can move your vice up or down

here is a pic of my work station

post-10925-1258070030_thumb.jpg

When the surf goes flat, the baits gettin busted and you just don't think you got the right thing in your box...what are you going to do? Clamp it to your leg and get creative or just drop it in your lap and get to work...I don't want to be trapped in the cab hunkered over the steering wheel(been there), I want to relax in my chair with a view, wiggle my toes in the sand and have a cold one...

post-15973-1258072828_thumb.jpg

post-15973-1258072849_thumb.jpg

I have both but I primarily use the pedestal. I travel a bunch and the pedestal is easier to pack up .. for me anyway .. when I'm back on the road.

Mike

I use both!!! I've got an old Thompson A pedestal and my Dyna king Kingfisher fits in it perfectly and I use the Thompson in a c-clamp next to it and I can have two different styles of fly going at the same time.

Fatman

My problem with using a pedestal is that it always seems to high to tie comfortably. I position my vise to be level with my elbows. To do this I use a c-clamp with a vise extention that moves the vise off the edge of my tying bench.

I use the C-clamp at home on by bench but when traveling I always take the pedestal as you never know what kind of table you will be tying on; you may get one of those flimsy plastic things that will not provide any stability for a C-clamp.