Fly Tying
flytyinfreak

C-clamp or Pedastal

How do you secure your vice to the table/desk ?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have tied on both pedestal, and c-clamp, but since about 3yrs ago prefer the latter.

I had a serious accident mountain biking 3yrs ago, broke both my back/neck and was paralyzed from the chest down, for a few hours two different times (once at the scene of the accident, and again during one of my surgeries putting "humpty dumpty" back together again). Needless to say, I'm now highly sensitive to tying position and bio-mechanical stresses while tying.

I use a Barracuda w/adjustable extender to move the vice away from the table and near chin level, close to my chest. I have to avoid hunching my shoulders and too much neck flexion (what ends up happening when "over" your vice) and must also not lift my arms off the arm-rests of my chair, nor extend my C-Spine too much (what happens when the vice is too high). I now tie with the vice at a level slightly below my chin and very close to my body which allows me to keep neck and upper T spine in the most neutral position, while not extending my arms too high or too far away from my body, causing the least fatigue. I'd last 10min at the vice / session without the adjustable arms.

Depends.

I am mostly a "Demonstration Tyer" when I am at work in my shop. Many people come in to see how I would tie this or that pattern, so I use a pedestal base because it's easier for them to see what I'm doing.

When I get "down & dirty" and have to knock out a bunch of flies, then I go to a drop down version of the c-clamp because it takes a lot of load off my shoulders and arms. I'm not trying to teach anyone anything in this mode, I'm just doing my work.

I tie on the very first 8 stop, Dyna-King Barracuda Indexor with a custom drop bar from Ron. I also use an extra large custom pedestal base from Ron - he made me one that weighs 8 pounds so it will not move when I'm really cranking down on the thread.

I use a pedestal with both of my Renzetti Travelers. I bought a C-clamp for them over 20 years ago thinking I would need it when I go camping but I have never used it. The pedestal works in every situation I've needed to tie.

Moscow

I use a pedestal with both of my Renzetti Travelers. I bought a C-clamp for them over 20 years ago thinking I would need it when I go camping but I have never used it. The pedestal works in every situation I've needed to tie.

Moscow

After ramming me knees into a C clamp, I have switched over to a pedestal. The pedestal allows me to move my vise out of the way if I need a writing space. I use a DK Barracuda with a 6lb pedestal so stability isn't an issue like it was with my Renzetti Traveler.

for years i used only a c clamp.. (regal).. then i went to norvise. and have been using the platform that came with the kit i got.. i also have a anvil apex.. that i got to use on the road.. or at classes etc.. i have yet to use it.. it has the c clamp and the pedistal..

i have had not trouble doing deer hair on the norvise.. it does not move.. i don't have a permanent tying location yet.. but i am soon converting a computer armoire into my tying space..

i will probably still use the norvise attached to its own platform..

Depends...

At home I use pedestal. I often move from the tyingroom to the kitchen or to the livingroom... easy with a pedestal and won't have to worry about scarring the tables. To fly-tying nights I bring the C-clamp. Saves both space and weight. At shows I use the pedestal. That makes it easy to let the person on the other side take a closer look... just hand it over.

/Nick

I've used both and prefer the pedestal. Started on a master vise clone with a C-clamp and had no significant complaints myself though the wife didn't like me clamping it to the kitchen table :lol: .

I just like to be able to pick up my vise and plop it down wherever I want to work and the Peak has never moved on me.

pedestal because most of the places that I tie the tables cant hold a clamp and to keep the materials on the table.

I am currently using a c clamp, but my next one will have a pedastal. I like the idea of using the pedastal where ever I feel like it.

If you use a C clamp vise stem on a pedestal, it will indeed be too high. What I like about C clamps is you have a lot more range of heights, assuming you have the longer stem made for C clamps. The adjustment range is nearly infinite. But you need that longer stem or you won't enjoy this.

I had to buy a pedestal-length stem from HMH for my vise. Now it fits on a pedestal. IIRC, the pedestal height stem is 6", the C clamp stem is 7 or 8.

What I like about a pedestal is it's compact. However, the height is not adjustable to any large extent, and set (I guess) for the average fly tier. If you want to adjust your tying height, you have to adjust your table or desk height.

I like both. Find myself using the pedestal more often.

If you want a great, versatile, yet very inexpensive base for your vise, buy this little dude: https://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=SL007 . I have several vises, at home, at the clinic, in my travel box and have used this for several years. I love 'em.