Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Scud

Nikon or Canon

Hello all, I'm looking at either thte D5000 or the T1i. I'm looking to the pros here for a little help. It's my first DSLR and I'm torn between them.

The T1i has more pixels and great features and the D5000 has a rear view finder that turns. I'm sure it more about brand choice for most but I don't care. They are both good cameras but I was wondering if someone knows something that I don't.

THe big point right now through the 21st of this month is Canon has a rebate on the package. I don't want that to sway my choice. I want the better camera.

What do you think.

Thanks

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Gretchen and I are Nikon people so understand our focus is on that camera but either camera system is great. We know there are members who may disagree but we feel that getting into the mega pixel race is a mistake. We feel a 12MP camera will serve most people very well. We use ours for magazine work up to a double page spread and enlargements up to 24x36" with good results. So our suggestion is to get into a camera system that will fit your needs without a large concern about the MP. Take into consideration the availability in your area (unless you use ebay) of used support equipment (lenses, flashes, etc.) for the system you select. Another consideration is the general colors a system tends to display; EX the color of a persons skin is something to consider if shooting pix of people is your main focus. There are many examples of Nikon & Canon photos of people so you can evaluate skin color. OR other example pix for outdoor colors (like green) if nature photography is your focus. If you plan to shoot fly (macro) pix some type of live view is very useful and the moveable LCD on the Nikon can help in that regard.

In looking over my comments I realize I have not really given you much direction. Bottom line, both camera systems are very good. I hope other members with share their ideas to help you make your selection. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi Jeremy,

Nikon and Canon are the world leaders, both make quality stuff.

In my opinion, Nikon is several generations ahead of Canon in SLR design right now. In terms of useability, there is a clear edge on the Nikon side. If you think of an image as a destination, the photographer essentially needs to "drive" the camera to the desired result. Nikon takes you there on the freeway, with an excellent user interface and very few steps to reach the common adjustments.

Canon still gets you there, but it's kind of like taking the surface streets. Everything is buried in custom function menu screens with multiple sub-menus, requiring much more familiarization to use effectively.

Megapixels have been mainly a marketing gimmick since 6MP sensors hit the scene. Photos from a 6MP sensor can easily be printed to 20" x 30" while retaining very high quality. Few people print larger than this, and in fact most rarely print larger than 16x20. The real concern is getting a body that allows you to get the results you want with the least possible fuss.

If I was buying an entry level SLR right now, I would take advantage of the excellent prices available on D40 kits. The D40 takes excellent photos, and may save you some money that can be put towards an additional lens. The D5000 is a great choice also.

Thanks you both for the info. I spoke to a camera store in my area and they carry both brands. They don't carry the T1i however. They feel the D5000 is better and has a larger light sensor or something in it. They feel Nikon is ahead of canon too. The Nikon is probably the way I'll go. I'm going to look on Wednesday at them in person. I'll still take any advice I can get.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Nikon and Canon are the world leaders, both make quality stuff.

In my opinion, Nikon is several generations ahead of Canon in SLR design right now. In terms of useability, there is a clear edge on the Nikon side. If you think of an image as a destination, the photographer essentially needs to "drive" the camera to the desired result. Nikon takes you there on the freeway, with an excellent user interface and very few steps to reach the common adjustments.

Canon still gets you there, but it's kind of like taking the surface streets. Everything is buried in custom function menu screens with multiple sub-menus, requiring much more familiarization to use effectively.

Megapixels have been mainly a marketing gimmick since 6MP sensors hit the scene. Photos from a 6MP sensor can easily be printed to 20" x 30" while retaining very high quality. Few people print larger than this, and in fact most rarely print larger than 16x20. The real concern is getting a body that allows you to get the results you want with the least possible fuss.

If I was buying an entry level SLR right now, I would take advantage of the excellent prices available on D40 kits. The D40 takes excellent photos, and may save you some money that can be put towards an additional lens. The D5000 is a great choice also.

Hi Jeremy,

Threshershark makes a good point about the D40. It's an excellent camera and purchasing it could give you a chance to add some very good lenses to your kit with the dollars you could save. No matter what entry level camera you purchase, you'll end up in a year thinking you need the "next best camera" anyway. If you invest in good lenses they will follow along with you through many different camera bodies. I still have (and use) the 50mm Nikkor f1.4 I bought in 1968 in the PX in Dong Tam, Vietnam. That lens has been through about 8 camera bodies and it still produces great pictures today. I do admit I don't use it as much as I have in the past; manual focus isn't as much fun as automatic <G> but all of my Nikon (and Fugi) bodies will allow me to use it for auto exposure in aperature priority mode after I make the proper adjustments in the setup menu. His advise about lenses was spot on! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I was told that the Nikon is a better camera due to the image sensor being larger. I can get the d5000 with 2 lens for 900.00. I might get it as an early christmas present. Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Hi Scud,

The Canon sensor is very slightly smaller, but not nearly enough to effect your photos. More importantly though, the Nikon D5000 sensor is considered state of the art for it's class of camera.

Canon TLI/500: 22.3 x 14.9 mm (3.32 cm²)

Nikon D5000: 23.6 x 15.8 mm (3.72 cm²)

The Nikon has the articulating LCD which many people like, but the Canon has a beautiful much higher resolution LCD.

Which one feels best in your hand? Many people prefer the build and grip on the Nikon, but you should handle both of them to see which works for you.

Do you know anyone with Canon or Nikon? You can learn from them and possibly share or borrow equipment.

Sony makes the sensor for Nikon. Both Canon and Nikon are good cameras. I use Nikon because I can use the lenses that I have from my Nikon film cames on my Nikon 300s. FishHawk