Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kevan J. Evans

SA Shark Skin do you like it?

I am curious if users of shark skin are happy with it. I purchased a WF-5wt. this year[ 2 months ago] And after gettin over the rediculous amount of noise it makes,which sounds like it's sawing threw the guides of your rod, today the weld on the loop came apart $100 for this?

just wondering if anyone else has these problem with too

yes I know I can tie a nail knot---- it's the princable!!!

I have tested this line for a month and I was undecided between good and bad. It loaded very nicely and was easy to cast, but it was loud and hard on the guides (just the top guide). I never had the problem with my hands being "rough". The friend I borrowed it from said it was crap in the cold fall. He said because it is a braided stile line and ice would stiffen it.

Honestly I would not pay $100 (Can) when there is many other brands which have the same quality like RIO, and Air Flo for less. I use both brands and love them dearly.

Cabela's in Hamburg Pa. had a bunch of them on the sale rack last week for $35, so I'm betting people are no longer in the Kool-Aid line with open wallets.

$100 for a fly line is like a $1000 fly rod or a $10,000 bicycle. If you have the money and want to spend it, fine. There will be plenty of people kicking your ass with much less expensive gear.

well thanks, just so ya know I'm a shop owners dream, I will all ways buy the best. not because it will make me better, but I like the comfort of i.e. a great jacket is warmer than a good jacket. eitherway this sharks skin was purchased cause I'm a longcast junkie on the dry, I had heard good things about this line from random strangers. that and the price tag seamed to add up. I am not a trusta -far-in I work for my $ and this CRAP is the first time I spent more than normal and was so disapointed so your right at this point some Joe with old horse hair fly line would best me at my own game <_<

I'm sure in anyone is spending $100 bucks for line, they can afford the damaged guides.

Sorta like buying the car, if you can afford the car, you can afford the upkeep!

ouch guess thats one wat of looking at it, or wht would they put a price tag like that on somme thing that will destory a $600 rod? hom maybe in this case I was a sucker for some thing better? I don't know

WOW ... has RIO fly line been jacking up in price with there lines. I remember I got 2 of my Lake series for 50 bucks each, now they are 75$

WOW ... has RIO fly line been jacking up in price with there lines. I remember I got 2 of my Lake series for 50 bucks each, now they are 75$

aint that something, tale ya I might have to start maken' horsehiar line with these prices--- whers the love, heck I can remember getting RIO lines for five buck's15 years ago. granted that was for the guides --- but still don't we all spend enough to sling flies around?

First of all I would like to say that I WOULD NEVER SPEND $100 ON FLY LINE. Never never never.

There are so many good options out there that don't cost that much money. I understand that companies today are struggeling(sp) and are having a difficult time making thier profit goals. But to do so by jacking up prices is the wrong way to do business. I am lucky, I live in Michigan an mostly fish rivers where distance is less important than stealth. I use a sa line that I bought on clearance two years ago for $20 bucks and I still catch fish with it.

I just don't see the point of Sharkskins high cost.

Did not like it because:

friction burns on larger fish

abrasion on my rod and guids

$$$ (im hella cheap)

Liked:

how dam well it pulled off the water and its over all castability(sp)

I did not pay full retail for mine, and I like them fine. I can really crank a long cast, though yes it is noisier. I have not seen guide damage. They mend like a charm. I would not spend that for my 4 wt or smaller, but a 7 or 8, sure.

Cheers, Futzer.

I read on a couple of other sites that said they were the first to introduce a ridge type line, but wasn't Air Flo?

I like the SA Shark Skin lines, excellent casting when you need the distance and much easier to mend & pick up longer lines from the water surface.

If the increased durability is as advertized (3X life factor, I believe),,, the $100 retail is a bargain compared to the $65-$75 retail for other premium lines.

Yes, you can purchase the $35-$40 retail lines but their life span is less than 1/2 that of the $65-$75 lines.

Now the reported destruction of fly rods and guides is very interesting....... hard chrome plated stainless steel or ceramic guides being worn away by a PVC plastic fly line coating????

This must be science fiction,,,,, not reality, you can easily deform the plastic with your fingernail.

Dirt on the line causing abrasion???? Why not wash off the salt or dirt every other trip?

The coarse finish was originally introduced many eary ago by the company bought by AirFlo, it was a UK company that I cannot remember at this time.

They had the same problem with FF accepting the line,,,,, too much noise when casting.

Regards,

FK

the line casts like a dream.... i dont own SA Sharkskin line but i do have other SA Lines..... It does make some noise going through the guides though.... if you are using it in a large line size for like saltwater fish where you strip a ton it cant burn you.....

about the welded loop breaking.... i usually dont trust welded loops after use a few times..... most big fish could probably break them if you have been using it for a while i just take a section of 15lb test and nail knot it to the fly line and then tie a loop on it for easy loop to loop connections