Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
5 weight

Dollar Store

Can you use thread, wire chenille, beads etc from a dollar store or will the stuff just fall apart? When you buy your tying supplies does everyone strictly buy from a fly shop or online? Can you get stuff at a more reasonable price by going elsewhere? Thanks for the info.

As far as thread goes, you should use thread made specifically for fly tying rather than sewing thread. Tying thread is usually polyester while sewing thread is usually cotton, which will rot. Cotton thread also turns much darker when wet, with some colors appearing almost black. Sewing thread will not lie flat on the hook which can be problematic, especially on smaller flies.

all way support your local shops ---- but never stop looking for other stuff to work with your a tyer not just a buyer. many materals started out for many other uses, before becoming tying materals--- eye's on the prize

kyflytyer hit the nail on the head with thread

You can find lots of materials in "dollar" stores, crafts stores, Walmarts, fabric stores, yarn shops, but thread is not one of those items. Yarns can be used as it comes from the skein, or chopped up and run through a coffee grinder or blender to make dubbings, it can be blended with fir from rabbit skins. Tinsel and wire are fairly common. Foam sheets from craft stores come in many colors and thicknesses. Doll eyes can be found in craft store and Walmart. Small glass seed beads are found at many craft stores. I look for close out yarns every time I visit specialty yarn shops.

Thanks guys i really appreciate it. It's nice to be able to ask a question even as basic as this one and have ears listening on the other end. Looks like my wife just got new thread for her sewing box. This is one of my first flies any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

post-23636-1257824516_thumb.jpg

whatcha throwing that at? pike , bass? ----- hay one more tidbit, don't use brass beads from craft store and what not. They aren't made right for heads of flies --- nice fly

Trout actually. im on Vancouver Island and they go crazy for em. I troll it or strip it from a U-boat on the local lakes. It's not as ig as it looks. Tied on a size Mustad 6-4 xl.

You can actually use thread from a sweing shop, but it has to be thread that is use for blind stiching. It's called Guterman Tera and Skala. This thread dose not "fray" like normal sweing thread. It is usually really small, the same as 10/0. So it can only really be used is small flies. I also use it for making my own leaders, becuase of its strength, diameter, and the no fuzzies part. Pluss one spool will last you a lifetime. and it's cheap.

lots of polyester thread out there that could be used for tying flies. cotton thread might rot but it would probably be a while before it did, not after one use though. you'll probably lose the fly before the thread rots.

somebody needs to do a detailed study on how long it takes cotton thread to rot so that excuse can be put to bed.

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa102100a.htm

Trout actually. im on Vancouver Island and they go crazy for em. I troll it or strip it from a U-boat on the local lakes. It's not as ig as it looks. Tied on a size Mustad 6-4 xl.
very cool