Fly Tying
ezpickins

Devaux A4

Hey all - I am trying to research the "reverse hackle" flies tied by Aime Devaux, especially the pattern known as the Devaux A4.

I've found a little information online in English and some in French - but there is one particular question that I can't find an answer to.

What is the reasoning behind the hackling style used on the A4? Why is the hackle angled forward? Is it to provide a denser hackle over a smaller area?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I believe this is a pattern of the "Funnel Dun" variety created by Neil Patterson and extensively detailed in his book Chalkstream Chronicle (1995) Lyons & Burford. The book is still available. Neil later wrote a followup in a Brit magazine called "Son of Funnel Dun" which you should be able to search in either Google or Bing. Here is an article that seems to link the Funnel Dun and the Devaux styles.

on page 361 of the benchside reference is method #13 "Deveaux Hackle" using 2 hackles

on page 362 is method #14 "Funneldun Hackle" which is similar using 1 hackle

Thanks guys,

You've given me some resources that I hadn't uncovered myself.

Hopefully I can uncover the reasoning behind the unique hackle style - I can't sleep at night worrying about it. :D

You may also want to check out Leon Links' "Tying flies with CDC" There's a short section on Devaux (p22-24). In it he shows the tying sequence for the Moustique 'Devaux' fly where the forward hackle is replaced with CDC.

If you have an Amazon account you can search inside the book for Devaux and see the section.

http://www.amazon.com/Tying-Flies-Cdc-Fish...5034&sr=1-1

Tim

Moscow, Idaho

Hey all - I am trying to research the "reverse hackle" flies tied by Aime Devaux, especially the pattern known as the Devaux A4.