Fly Tying
flyfshn76

Dubbing Rake

Does anyone know where I could find a Dubbing Rake. Having a hard time locating one. Mayby not looking hard enough. Thanks for any help.

I have several all made from Sabre saw blades. I just fit them in an exacto knife handle. These types of saw blades break pretty easily, and the broken off blades work just fine as dubbing rakes. I use some to rough up fly bodies, and others to comb dubbing off the fur pieces I have.

Hi FF76, Let me know a little more about what you are raking. I do a a lot of picking fibers out of a dubbed body, simply with a dubbing needle. Other that that, I have a couple small combs, one marketed for mustasches. a couple dental drills with rough ends, and other odd assorted things over the years, hook side of velcro on a small brass rod etc. With a better idea, I am sure we can come up with cheap and not so cheap ideas.

Cheers, Futzer.

I use a toothbrush with the bristles trimmed extremely short. It works great for larger flies but not so well with smaller ones. For smaller ones, I use a dental pick.

Rob

From the responses you have gotten I am confused as to what you are looking for. If it is a tool to ruff up or pick out dubbing already applied to a hook, that tool is not a dubbing rake (yes I know that some catalogs incorrectly call them rakes). A dubbing rake is a tool designed to cut fur from a hide. The best one lets you cut only underfur or only guard hair, or both. This is the LAW ceramic rake found here http://www.danica.com/flytier/law/law_rake.htm. There are several others sold, as pointed out in the earlier posts, but having tried them all I can tell you the only one that really does the job correctly is the LAW tool.

. A dubbing rake is a tool designed to cut fur from a hide. The best one lets you cut only underfur or only guard hair, or both. This is the LAW ceramic rake found here http://www.danica.com/flytier/law/law_rake.htm. There are several others sold, as pointed out in the earlier posts, but having tried them all I can tell you the only one that really does the job correctly is the LAW tool.

Just to add, if anyone checks this link out and is thinking about buying a LAW rake, the coarse tooth model is no longer made or available.

Regards,

Mark

I have 4 separate rakes/brushes in my arsenal.

PEAK's Ritt Pick-N-Brush (PNB-M) has become my "go-to" tool lately. The bristles are very stiff and it really gets in there and grabs the material, plus the flip side is a dubbing needle. It's my new favorite tool.

PNB_CAPPED-250x167.jpg

The other brush I use is a children's tooth brush with very soft bristles. I recommend the "Clifford the Big Red Dog" brush over "Dora the Explorer"' brush. But if you can grab a "Wiggles" brush, jump at the deal.

I also have the plastic rubbing rake from Stonefly tools, the kid's toothbrush works better.

The mustache comb works good too, I agree with Futzer.

I'm with halcyon, some of you guys are confusing a dubbing brush with a dubbing rake.

A dubbing rake is for removing the fur from the skin.

A dubbing brush is for "roughing-up" the dubbing, after it has been applied to the hook.

I also agree that the LAW Ceramiscrape is the best one to get. Others such as the Ken Newton dubbing rake are good too.

Yes you guys are getting confused....

I have the Wasatch rake ad it great for making dubbing. I have loads of dubbing brushes and picks I used them all depending on the job at hand.

Hi FF76, Let me know a little more about what you are raking. I do a a lot of picking fibers out of a dubbed body, simply with a dubbing needle. Other that that, I have a couple small combs, one marketed for mustasches. a couple dental drills with rough ends, and other odd assorted things over the years, hook side of velcro on a small brass rod etc. With a better idea, I am sure we can come up with cheap and not so cheap ideas.

Cheers, Futzer.

What I was looking for is dubbing rake. I have several dubbing picks that I use to pick out my nymphs after they are tied. I am going to use the rake on some hare mask's and muskrat that I have. I have some of the dubbing allready made up, but want to get more use out of my fur's. I actually bought the one the J. Stockard had. Figured that since they are sponsors of this wonderful site, I should pay them homage and spend some money with them. Got to use my frequent buyer points also for a discount. I can't believe that I missed it the first time I checked their site for the rake. Thanks for all your help guys and for letting me have a slight brain fart.