Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

Aquariums

Hi all. Just curious who here owns an aquarium. I have one and it is a very fun hobby :headbang:

What kind of fish and stuff do you have in yours? :) I'm going to post some pictures in a bit of mine.

Thought it would be a fun thread.

Jan

I don't have one set up now but I use to have several. I once set up three temp controlled breeding tanks for Bettas and did some selective breeding studies . Came out with some really cool colors. I also had a microcosm tank with juvenile species of all the natural predetor species. My favorite fish in that one was a six inch alligator gar.It was so neat to watch him stalk minnows.

Fred

I need to get mine going again, last summer wene we [the fam]took off for a few weeks one of the catfish [i think] knocked the air hose off and killed everyone in the tank. It was cool. anytime I caught some small bass,pike , or catfish I would just take them home, loved throwing spiders,grasshoppers and such in the taketrout just die so don't bother but the hardy fish I just mentioned will survive & grow, this is stupid but fun. I took a broken tip from an old rod,added a cheap key chain fly reel and strung it up with 4x, and would drop my line in w/ hookless flies and rock the tank every once in a while

Guys , what temp would the tank have to be kept to keep coldwater fish such as trout. They just started a stocking program down here in the winter with bows, but they have to restock every year because they die off in the summer.

Its easy to warm a tank but how would you refrigerate it?

Fred

It is so hard to keep trout in a tank, my buddy Trap open his shop and put in a huge tank that was temp contoled and so on. The mortality rate was rediculus, after years of effort and $1000's of tech dollars, they gave up on it. It's not just temp it's also oxwgen and gods work being boxed into such a wild world

75 gallon tank.....it has a life size human skeleton in it.....goldfish....ohh....and the trout question...goldfish are coldfish water fish as well....exotic breeders have cooling systems installed in the filtration systems.....the water is maintained at a certain temp, they also use a lot of airaters to keep oxygen levels up....I would assume the same system could be used for trout.....

post-22995-1258470856_thumb.jpg

I've cut back and only have 8 set up now with approx. 400 fish, the parrot fish keep breeding and there are tonnes of little ones. I have Mostly parrot fish, angel fish and cichlids.

I also have 2 ponds set up, 1 with gold fish and 1 with sunfish.

Wow! This really took off. SmallieStalker, that is one sweet tank!

I have two bluegills, a small brown bullhead, several tetras, and a blind cave fish in mine. Pictures to come.

I don't have one set up now but I use to have several. I once set up three temp controlled breeding tanks for Bettas and did some selective breeding studies . Came out with some really cool colors. I also had a microcosm tank with juvenile species of all the natural predetor species. My favorite fish in that one was a six inch alligator gar.It was so neat to watch him stalk minnows.

Fred

That is so cool. I can't even breed guppies! :wallbash:

UPS just dropped off my new patigonia's I should be fishing today but the kid has been home sick for day's now -- BUMMER

You can change your user id but your still dropping posts in the weirdest places. :blink: Have fun with the new patagonia's.

Brown Trout :smoke:

Easy clean....just flush.... :bugeyes:

Uh....sorry :rolleyes:

Check regs before keeping any native or wild fish. Illegal in many states. Just because you got it at a pet store also, doesn't mean it's legal. Just wanted to throw that out there. Continue.........

True I never have checked that I never brought a trout home because of all the trouble they had at th shop, the bass was leagle take home and eat size, I don't know what leagle on cat's and the pike was a gift from a buddy that did work for the state -- study'n pike

tell me the flush wasn't called for

and chuckingfluff-- I continue to try and place things correct & act right -- I'll keep working on it