Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

Bullhead Flies

What flies work well on Bullhead (brown bullhead to be exact)? I plan on giving them a go (they are very common where I fish, although I have never gotten one on the fly) next year, and I would like to stock up on some working patterns. Anyone else fish for bullhead? What do they like :)

We have a small pond in our neighborhood that is loaded with them. My son does pretty well getting them with brown woolly buggers.

I've caught them while fishing for other species on different flies . The one common thing was the presentation .Low and slow.

Fred

I have never known anyone to target them. I have caught them on dark wooly buggers/leeches by accident.Good luck.

To add to what I said before, he usually does the best in the early summer by sight fishing for them. He'll slowly walk around the edge of the pond until he sees one swimming. Then he'll dap the fly in and sort of jig it around. Usually he'll get an eat w/in the first couple jigs, then just lift the fish out of the water.

12838_178017770734_590350734_3068238_3594709_n.jpg