Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ramsis_iv

Dubbing witk elk and deer hair

I have read in several magazines that you can use the trimmings from bass bugs, mudlers and such for dubbing. However I've never seen a description, nor have I been very successful doing this. I would like some pointers and preferably a video.

So far I think that the only material wich would work worse for dubbing is toothpicks....

You can spread them out in a dubbing loop and spin them. Then wrap as hackle or a body. trim to shape and lenth after.

Great links scotfly. Using a dubbing loop is the best method when dubbing with deer or elk hair for durability. You can standard dub but it is usually useful to use quite a bit of wax and mix in a little bit of fine dubbing along with the hair. Warning: if you are standard dubbing a lot of it, it will make your fingers raw.

Dubbing with deer hair

I see, the pictures really helped, I was imagining something very different. This dubble dubbing loop thing is new to me, I deffintetly have to try it!

(I was trying to dubb in a way do that I endet up with every strand of hair sepparated, basically like a feather with deerhairfibers....but now I understand that I am suppused to treat it almost like regular dubbing)

Thanx alot!