Fly Tying
JarrodRuggles

WHAT DO YOU USE THE MOST?

What fly do you use the most?  

790 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dry flies for trout. If its Steelhead or Atlantic Salmon I'm after I will use a spey or a hair wing salmon or steelhead wet fly. I have gotten steelhead on dry flies but in the great lakes the conditions have to be just right to do that.

Charlie

The Orange (or Yellow) Stimulator (tied Randall Kaufmann style) is without a doubt my favorite fly. It is great for prospecting and although primarily tied as a dry fly, it can be fished wet as well. Further, it can be viewed either as an imitative pattern or an attractor - I suspect it looks like a great mouthful to many fish, as they all seem to smack it with reckless abandon. Finally, it's just plain fun to tie, and to me it lokks d@#n pretty!

When I'm prospecting on small streams my "go-to" dry fly is the CDC/elk. But my favorite fly to fish is a gold ribbed hare's ear/antron and partridge soft hackle. I love swinging them down to rising trout during an evening caddis emergence. Easy to tie, look great, a real classic.

Jarrod,

Dude, you got to change that Avitar.

Every time I see it, I think I'm looking in the bathroom mirror.

Man you arn't the same Jarrod from the subway commercials, are you? I didn't think so.

PS: I use caddis flies on topwater (small for trout to very large for bass)

Beadheads, usually green weenies, again small for trout to very large (usually add some colaring or wings) for bass.

Conehead

but, rounded gut

Sow Bugs, Wolly Buggers, and Pheasent Tails for the most part. Caught alot of fish on these three including trout, bass, and bream.

These are my three favorites as well.

I would say I use Wooly bugger type patterns more than any fly for salmon and trout. Wooly buggers, Bead head wooly buggers and ESL's which are just woolybugger variations catch me a lot of fish. Egg patterns would be second for me.

Now I'm fishing mostly nights for trout ,so a wolly bugger type w/o the palmered hackle.In either black ,olive or black w blue collar all have peacock herl body.Fish most of time w/ two at a time.