Fly Tying
mahaney

Vest or Pack

I'm in the market for a vest or chest pack. What type are you guys using and what brand? What do you like about your particular vest/pack? I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who uses Filson gear.

Thanks,

-Jim

I use to be of the "many pocket vest school but as of the last year or so i have really got a bit frustrated with temporaly loseing stuff in the pockest(forget which one i stuck it in wallbash.gif ) so as soon as this vest bites the dust i'm going to look for a vest with a few less pockets.

Only other thing i would advise about a vest is to get one that has some kind of seight distribusion system for the shoulders and a soft collar.

SD

I've used them all. I didn't mind the pack, but got to the point that was a pain for me to use. Mostly because of rowing all day, and pack being in way (since they stick out a bit more then my vest do. Plus, I normally am fishing gear/fly on same trip. So need a bit more storage. I was going to use the pack for summer fishing only, but keep it really simple for that, so only need a flybox, tippet material, and rod/reel. So could get by with just my shirt pockets as my vest.

I think it's up to you do really decide. Everyone is different. What works for me, won't work for you. I have my perfect vest now. Especially for the boat. Think I've posted pics of it on here already. But meets all my needs, plus is a PFD at same time. So no more having to rip my lifevest off and putting my pack/vest on to fish the next pocket. I'm all ready to go as soon as the boat stops.

I'm in the same boat as you and I'm looking into the "strap vests". Both Cabela's and Filson make one but I think due to the price of the Filson I'll probably be getting a Cabela's. They are quite a bit smaller then your average vest and less material covering you so they are cooler and lighter. A friend of mine has a chest pack and I tried it out for a bit and thought it was o.k. but not quite what I'm looking for.

Hope this helps a little

Jim

If you look at chest packs, look at those which can double as butt bags. If you're wading shallow or not wadining at all, a butt bag is out of the way until you spin it. LL Bean has a real nice modular chest/fanny pack. I've found it to be acceptable an comfortable.

I mainly use a vest but I also have my dad's old canvas fishing bag. It has a lot of internal pockets for storage and I can fit everything from vest into the bag. I use it if I'm in a boat or not wading or in the summer when it's just too hot to add another layer of clothing. It has a should strap if I do decide to go wading. It's great.

Ken cool.gif

PS: I just found three more pockets in my vest that I didn't know I had.

I use the Little Big Horn Fisherman's Bandoleer from Cabela's during the summer and the Cabela's Deluxe Chest Vest during the winter. Wouldn't even consider using a regular vest anymore.

To pack or not to pack... huh.gif

I guess it would depend on the style of your fishing.

I have a tendancy to move around quite a bit and cover water that requires different approaches. Some of the holes along a stretch may call for a sinking line and to carry extra spools, streamers, lunch, water, ect won't fit in a chestpack. To carry a gear bag is a pain as well. I have found myself always needing to back-track and get the bag from shore. (sometimes a quite a walk back up or down) Hanging it off my shoulders wasn't much of an option either. Some of the water was too deep. bs.gif

A while back my vest took a dump and I bought one of the top-end Orvis ones. It has back pockets for extra reels and a large partition for water and lunch. The shoulders have some type of stretchy material that distributes the weight and is very comfortable even with the weight of an average anchor. LOL

Sure wish I could downsize my gear... dunno.gif

Vest all the way... I have had the same one for 3 years now, I believe the name is Bell. I've never had a problem with it.. and I keep everything in it including.. extra spools, camera, the kitchen sink and a cell phone.. for when I'm out alone... just in case cool.gif

I've been in the same dilema too. I did stop to look at the Filson foul weather vest. It's very nice, and I like the fact that it has a nice big bellows pocket in the back, but it is difinatley not a warm weather vest. I have a waxed baseball from Filson, and it gets hot fast! I haven't been able to find one of their chest packs, but I am seriously considering one of those.

I know that people balk at the price of Filson stuff, but in this case, you really get what you pay for. I have a variety of things from Filson, and they look just as good as they did new. I actually have something new to compare them to. My wife just gave me a new gun case for our anniversary. I personally wouldn't have spent the money, but I'm glad she did!

Ok, had to do it. This is my vest. biggrin.gif Talk about hardcore, when I'm not fishing with it, I am ready to infiltrate the nearest taliban faction. wink.gif

Seriously though, this is a military issue vest. Has plenty of pockets for anything you can need (even a special pocket on the back for my radio with place for mic up front, and a big camelbak reservoir which I use alot). It's one size fits all (and can believe it too). Has enough straps to keep it steady, and not ride up on you when sitting down (is awesome to row with). Oh, and did I mention it's a PFD? Designed to carry most body types WITH full combat gear. So even being heavier right now with what I normally take fishing, I'm float quite well with it (already tested it). Nice thing of all, can change up your floatation. Can take panels out if you don't need as much. Is very flexible, and range of movement is awesome! Only problem, impossible to get. Especially new (unless you want to pay alot of money). Luckily, I ran into a deal on a brand new one. Cost me less then a William Josephs coastal pack (which I was looking at buying) and is a PFD to boot. Plus, in case something was to happen, doubles as a rescue vest to pull you out. LOL.

Front

user posted image

Back

user posted image

What I like about this vest is I can row in it. I've had the packs, and used them in conjunction with my old PFD. Problem was, the pack would get in my way, or wouldn't fit around me and my PFD while it was on and actually sit with it. So would take one off, and then reput the other back on when I stopped. With this, I can have it all at once. Get out and go fish, then jump back in and ready to go to the next hole. Now, just need to drop this L&I weight so I don't look so damned rolly polly in it. ROFL.

I used a vest for years but was tired of having all that crap dangling from my upper body, so when I moved last year I conveniently "lost it" and started using a Timberland fanny pack that can also be slung over the shoulder. It has two very roomy pouches with room for several fly boxes and other gear, clips for retractors (I use the telephone cord type to keep my forceps handy), heavy-guage fabric straps to hold flat items (like the afore-mentioned forceps), areas to hold two large bottles of water, and to top it off it's exactly the same color and material as my rain jacket (sheer coincidence, though). I use this in fresh and saltwater. Never again will I use a vest; I just don't like them. It's like a treasure hunt whenever I want to tie something else on... "... now let's see, which pocket has the box of terrestrials?... nope, not that one... nope, not that one either... sigh... what was I looking for again?" dunno.gif

Haven't you heard? We have alot of combat fishing here. laugh.gif

Actually, the vest is designed so you can take the floatation pads out and put Kevlar (or bullet proof) armor into it. LOL. That's true too, not making it up.

I fell in love with this vest a few years ago. My friend who's a navy seal came up for some fishing and hunting. He had brought this vest and filled it with fishing gear. I enquired about it and he said "no can do, issued only". Been looking for quite awhile in shops and on the net to find one. But was in love with it and kept looking. Finally found it on ebay. Man, first one guy had went for over $250 (they retail for about twice that). Finally got one shipped to my door for around $120. It looks like overkill, but actually very versatile.

No, this is no girlie man actors vest, this is the real mccoy. wink.gif