Fly Tying
Harold Ray

A small, simple fly photograpy area/set-up

What do I need for a small, simple fly photograpy area & how should it be arranged? That says it all. I am a total photography novice and I need some help. Mike sent me a couple of images of his area, showing how it was arranged, and after seeing that, I thought I would ask you all how your photography areas are set up for more ideas.

At this time, I want to photograph some of the flies I tie. I need good, efficient, and simple if possible. I'm never going to be a big time photographer, but I want to do the best I can in my small area on the flies of mine I want to photograph.

The camera I have right now is a Pentax Optio W60.

Thanks!!

Ray

Hi Harold,

For simple fly photography we only have one suggestion; a tripod can be quite helpful. We have an older version of your camera (Optio W10) that we use for a backup camera. To shoot flies with it we use the on-camera flash along with 2 or 3 pieces of tinfoil to act as reflectors. We like to place them just out of camera view; one to each side and one under the subject (fly). A piece of colored foam-core or construction paper place behind the subject makes a good back ground; just place it far enough back to keep the shadows out of the shot. By the way, we suggest using the timed release to make the shot to avoid any camera shake. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I have a pretty simple point and shoot Canon. It has a macro setting which is a must to take close ups. I use my tying lights They are two different colors of flourescent bulbs. If I use a background, its usually a white wall about 28" behind the fly. I have a couple of very small tripods, and most of the time my pictures are hand held. I usually take 3 to 5 shots of each fly, and hope one or more are clearly in focus. Its not at all professional, but I do get a fair percentage of clear photos. At least with digital cameras your only using up a little extra battery time. All your bad shots can easily be erased.

The timed release......... that's the ticket! I have struggled forever with taking picks of my flies so I have given up. I never thought of using the timed release to avoid the camera shake, I have been trying to use the sniper breathing and squeezing the trigger approach without consistent success.

The timed release......... that's the ticket! I have struggled forever with taking picks of my flies so I have given up. I never thought of using the timed release to avoid the camera shake, I have been trying to use the sniper breathing and squeezing the trigger approach without consistent success.

Oh, yeah. For me, using the timer made all the difference in the world

as far as clear, sharp pics.

Mike

Hey Ray, I'm no photographer but with a small cheap tripod, a little point and shoot, my tying lamp, and a photo cube my pics are coming out pretty good. I just recently got the photo cube and it made a big difference. Here is a couple links...you can make your own, I bought a collapsible one just like in the link here on ebay. With a little searching and looking I got it for under twenty bucks.

Make your own photo cube

Photo light cube

Thanks, Mike, Al, OH and everyone!

I am getting everything together. I've got the camera, of course, and I have bought a couple of Gorillapods that will be coming in shorty. I'm bidding on the photo tent you suggested, OH. Mike has a good one, too, that he made out of an old vinegar bottle. I'll probably do one of those, too, just to have it handy, plus I'm sure the plastic is tough. I plan to try both and see how they work. I'll make the reflectors out of aluminum foil.

I am also buying a couple of other tripods, the taller sizes, one for the clinic and one for the truck. I used to take quite a few pictures at the clinic for my veterinary sites, but I got out of the habit and haven't done that for a while. I'm going to start again. I also want to set up down by the lake and get some images there. I really don't know anything about photography though, other than pointing the camera and pushing the little button, so with your all's help, I am learning more.

Thanks again!! I really appreciate it.

Ray

I have linked a few of my photos for you. I use a tent lightbox setup. Tripod, cable release and lighting.

These flies are from Al & Gretchen. Impressive ties huh!

4165728400_f29fb4df6e_o.jpg

4165728358_3a8cf4fed3_o.jpg

You can see the bigger sizes and some B&W versions on my blog:

http://www.flyfishermanforum.com/2009/12/f...hen-beatty.html

12436_356834940505_833395505_10006215_5983985_n.jpg

iPhone photo taken of my setup I did at a company shoot using my light box.

12436_356834925505_833395505_10006214_72770_n.jpg

Another iPhone pic taken. Lighting and a cable release will go a long way in helping you with your fly photography. For me it is a must!

All good thoughts mentioned by others above~

GOSH!!!!!!!! Those are really pretty!!!!

Thanks for posting your set-up so I can see it. That really helps. Where did you get your lights and what kind are they. Some use their tying lights. I've got various ones, but the ones I'm thinking of using are the fold-out DayLight fluorescents, similar to the one below. I have several of those I use for tying. Others appear to be shop lights.

Will these lights work okay?

madisonartshop_2081_103825837.jpg

Ray