Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Neoprene Waders

I just bought a pair of Hodman stocking foot waders with a pair of wading boots. All my life I have "wet-waded" because most of the streams I fish rarely get cold enough to require waders, but I am planning a Salmon trip to the Pere Marquette in Michigan in September and have heard they are necessary.

Anyway I tried these things on and come to realize I do not like the look or feel of Neoprene. I feel a little "weird" with wearing stretchy form fitting spandex type material! I've seen many people wearing Neoprene waders and in fact that is about all I could find while out looking for chest waders. I did find a pair of Pro-Line Chest Waders that were made out of a stretchy nylon material and the boot is a part of the wader. That pair of waders felt really good because it was not as "form fitting" as neoprene and I guess it wouldn't be as warm but hell that is what long johns are for right?

I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with Neoprene and if so does the "weird" feeling ever go away? Or am I just being silly and a little self conscience?

SH,

I have a pair of rubber/nylon Hodgman waders and I love 'em. They are bulky and heavy, and uninsulated, but I rarely fish waters much colder than 49 degrees. They are great in the early spring and late fall. But, like yourself, I wet wade from the end of April until the middle of September.

BUT....the Hodgman waders I have tried do have one little problem. I am a robust man, standing at 6' 2" and weighing in at 298lbs. Being tall and "round" the Hodgman products are short seamed. The crotch doesn't always ride as high as it should and can cause limited movemnet when trying to climb or high step. However, Hodgman does make waders in irregular, and big and tall sizes.(as do most wader manufacturers).

when buying waders, remember comfort is essential and sadety is your main concern. Make sure you have a good snug fight and are able to move quickly when you have too.

But I digress....I don't care for the neoprene wasers my self, SH.

Or maybe you just don't want to look like a "wood elf" when you come bouncing down the stream in your "tights"? biggrin.gif tongue.gif LOL

Looking Like an Elf, HAHAHA

Actually I believe that you will grow to love them. I have a pair also and at first I thought the same way. But then again I was fishing in some pretty cold water. What I really liked most about them was the boots with Felt on the bottom of them, they saved me many atimes from taking an unscheuduled swim.

Thanks for trying boo_5 but I've slipped them on several times and I do feel like a "wood elf bouncing down the stream". I can't help it. I'm found a pair of nylons at bass pro that I think I'm going to go with them. Maybe someday dunno.gif

Well I guess they are a little funny looking. LMAO And they are a pain in the Azz when you need to take an emergency camp cooking.... crap. But one of these days when you do fish some cold and I mean cold water like in Alaska you will use them.

Yea your probably right. I did some steelhead fishing in PA two days after Christmas last year. Chunks of ice was floating down the stream hitting us in the leg and ice was forming on our line. It was quite cold, never been that cold in all my life. We just had our old hip waders on, but seen quite a few people with Neoprene who actually looked quite toasty. If I ever do that again I won't care how I look!

Well I found a pair of Red Head bone-dry chest waders with the boots attached at Bass Pro for $60. I love the feel of them compared to the "clingy" Neoprene. They are going to be fairly warm because they have 200 grams of thinsulate. The only style they had left in my size was in Advantage Camo and that's fine with me, I could use them for duck hunting if I ever decide to take up the sport. So to all you guys who wear Neoprene I gotta give you credit, because I just can't wear them things.

Guest Too Lazy to log-in

Will, the 220g Thinsulate is only in the boot, remember.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with the neoprene at all. Granted, they can be a pain to get on and off at times, but there's something to be said for the warmth.

If anyone who uses breathables or old style canvas-rubber jobs doesn't know about Polartec or "fleece", as it's generically known, whether it be socks, liner pants or what have you, it's worth it to investigate the pile of catalogs on your hassock or look in the web. Fleece liner pants and socks can turn a half-hearted attempt to withstand frigid water in uninsulateds into a possibly successful day.

Yea the waders I got are baggy enough to allow some layers underneath. I got plenty of fleece to do the job and quite a few pairs of "long johns". So warmth won't be a issue. I just couldn't stand the "clingy" feel of Neoprene and maybe one day I'll change my mind. I'm only 24 so I must be strange to like the "old timers" waders better. It was actually hard to track down a pair and ended up going to the hunting section to find a pair.

BTW Mr. to lazy to log-in are you a member here or just stopping by?

Guest Too Lazy

Member. After the flak I got from BigDaddy yesterday, it just felt like the right thing to do! headbang.gif