Fly Tying
EGG!

adding scent to flies

Hello All,

I really just started tying this year and wanted to know if anyone adds scent to their flies. Does it make a difference and what kind of scent do you use? I have read in a few places that people use scents (like anise oil) to mask the human scents on the flies and as an attractant.

EGG!

Some guys at scents such as anise oil to egg flies, but be very careful where you are fishing if you use it. Adding scent to a fly in "fly only" water is ilegal in most places.

SD

I dont use scent and I never have fished w/ anyone that does. It may work? I would think in a river with all the current it would be washed off so fast that it wouldnt make a difference.

JB

Heresy!!!!! mad.gif bugeyes.gif thumbdown.gif sick.gif shocking.gif shit.gif

Consider this, if you happen to hook into a world record fish on a scented fly, it is disqualified.

Nope, never used scents on flies. I do fish gear, so figure why put scents on flies, when I can do that to jigs, actual bait, etc. I try to keep them as seperate as possible. Plus, like mentioned, it's illegal in most "flyonly" areas to use any scent and would wipe out any record fish you got on the fly.

Now, I have people who want to catch a sturgeon on a fly. I've heard some remote places that can actually enduce them to come up to one. Only thing I can think of is it's very clear water, and they don't have a huge forage base on the bottom of the river. So come up for whatever they can. But where I fish them, it's average of 60' deep, zero visibility, and we HEAVILY scent our BAIT. Those who use alot of scent catch more sturgeon there. So, kind of defeats purpose of catching one on a fly heavily scented. I'm not out to catch one on the "rod", I'm out to catch one on the "lure" I'm presenting. So if I'm throwing a fly, I want it to hit my fly, not the ounce of scent I just slathered it in. That's just my honest opinion, not for everyone.

I actually prefer to have my own manly scent on my Steelhead flies. It has been known to draw in those big fiesty females like a magnet. wub.gif

Seriously I have never given scent a try. I don't know how much difference it would make to sight predators, I don't know if they use their nose to sniff out prey or not dunno.gif

if i ever get the chance to fish with will, please someone stop me from asking to borrow any flies from him

LOL.... Egg in my experience scents dont make much of a difference, everytime Im out fishing i wash my hands in the sand to rid them of soap or whatever might stick.. other than that I think Wolf is right, the water should take care of the fly.. cheers.gif

When I was a young fly fisherman I always carried a small jar of bacon grease.

I'm not sure it makes a difference, but at the time I swore by the stuff

dunno.gif

OSD.

SmallieHunter Posted on Sep 1 2004, 09:39 AM
  I actually prefer to have my own manly scent on my Steelhead flies. It has been known to draw in those big fiesty females like a magnet.

Bwhahahahaaaaa! serenade.gif

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

I saw a fly fishing show w/Dave Whitlock last year, he was using nymphs, fishing for trout and the first thing he did after tying on a new fly was reach down and grab some seaweed and rub it into his fly......He said there were two reasons for doing that.....1st was appearance and 2nd was cover scent........

mike

What an outrage !!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif Fly fishermen resorting to using scent !!!!!!

I don't use the stuff. Don't need too, I like Smallie have this manly scent the Females can't resist!!!!!

Tube wheelchair.gif