Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Smallmouth

pigboats are the flyfishermans jig n pig

my favorite jig has brown,black ,orange living rubber legs

you always put a rubber frog or craw on the back and i like sand colored or olive craws

so you can put longer living rubbers tails or rabbit strip claws of those colors out the back of your fly

Smallmouth can be just as picky as trout.....depending on the season, water temp, water clarity, stream bottom....standbys are the same pretty much anywhere you go for smallies...chartruese and white clousers.....black and chartuese works well in low visablitiy water......solid white minnow imitations.....browns, olives and blacks for bottom fishing is always a plus....smallies love the crawfish in the summer....fall is when you should study more forage fish patterns and tie accordingly.....good luck

yep :thumbsup:

For most of my warmwater fishing Purple is my go to color. Every now and then I use orange, yellow or black if purple does not get a strike. I also use buggers more then anything else, very easy to tie and very effective.

Joe Fox