Fly Tying
Backlash

I need a little cheering up here...

My huntng buddy isn't going to make it out for pheasant season this year. Max was hit by a car last night right after I got home from work. My wife let the UPS man deliver a package, and Max decided to go for a run without her. We finally chased him down and almost had him coralled, and he took off the other direction. A woman driving down the road obviously missed me, my wife, and two other people standing on the road trying to catch a 90lb yellow lab. cursing.gif

We took him to the vet and did some initial blood work, and there wasn't any internal damage. I got a call from the vet, and he said that he wished that he could tell me that there are some broken bones, but nothing wrong there either.

I would feel a lot better, but he still doesn't have any use of one of his front legs. Dr. Bruce said that we can bring him home in a few days and hope that the nerve damage heals itself, but he's thinking Max is going to lose his leg up to his shoulder.

Sorry about the rant, but I just had to let it out. Ever since 5:00 last night, I've felt like shit.gif.

Sorry to hear that bud our pets are like a part of our family, may just take a little time for him to regain useage in the leg and not have to lose it but we'll keep our fingers crossed for max.

SD

Oh man. What a bummer. cry.gif

Max will spring back OK though - have heart. Dogs are amazing resilient. Just keep him happy and lavish attention on him.

You'd be surprised what a little rest will do for a dog.

Sorry to hear about it, hopefully he'll get better soon

Matt:

That's a bummer but if the picture is recent she will be back. I lost millie to a battle with cancer a year ago but now have Abbie and Sissy to keep me company. Labs rule.

Ted

MY_DOG_MILLIE.doc

Carls right.. animals are amazingly resilient, dont worry about it to much, just do what you can for now.. cheers.gif

Sorry to hear that your dog Max is in rough shape. I hope that he springs back to his full form. Our dogs are a major part of our families, and the pain that we feel when they are hurt or sick is just as strong if it was a human member of our family. Best wishes for Max.

Art

I know, this sounds farfetched, but find an animal massage therapist for your dog after they're all healed up. Alot of times it's the muscles reacting to the initial injury. I know, you think I'm nuts. LOL. But my girlfriend is actually an LMP/ESMT (basically she's licensed to massage humans and horses). Her field of expertise is animals though. Most of the same techniques on humans are used on horses and the likes. Our friend had a similar situation with their dog. But wasn't hit by a car. Fell down a ravine (sp?). No injuries they could tell, but was hobbled up for a couple months pretty good. She started working on him a little at a time. Stretching him out, and working on the muscles. Within a month or so, he had stopped hobbling and was running again. Was just the muscles binding up around the initial injury and not releasing.

Just an idea. I know her vets said that there was nothing they could do for the dog. But my girlfriends working the leg and the muscle fixed it right up. Was a simple fix.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, this must really be a tough time.

Like has been said earlier don't underestimate their ability to bounce back even if the worst happens and he loses the leg. I've been unfortunate enough to have gone through this type of scenario twice in the past few years with German Shorthairs. The first incident was my dad's GSP ran through the invisable fence and ended up getting hit by a car. It broke both hips yet the muscles held it all together and if you saw him run now you'd never guessed it happend. The other instance was with one of mine about 3 years ago. He bolted from my backyard on me and got it by a pick up in November. He ended up losing a hind leg. He was grouse hunting the briar covered hills of southern Ohio again by the end of February with the only impact to him was his stamina. Dogs are truly just amazing animals.

Give him lots love and say your prayers. I'll be thinking of you guys.

Oh man, you never want to hear about anything like this happening to a dog. I hope he pulls through with no long-term problems; as others have pointed out, you just never know with a dog: he may greet you at the door as usual one day when you return home from work!

Thanks everybody. I'm feeling a lot better. The initial shock just made me feel like somebody kicked me in the nuts and punched me in the gut at the same time.

The wife and I have decided to bring him home as soon as we can and are going to attempt some physical therapy for a couple of months and see how things go. The vet told us about one of his first patients, a dachund, that had back problems and couldn't walk. The owner filled up his bathtub every night and swam his dog in the tub.

Luckily for us, we have a small lake 3 blocke from our house. The plans are to take him to the lake and get him swimming and then to keep masaging his shoulder and leg.

Once again, thanks everybody. I really appreciate it.

I'm in with everything everyone else said- I know where your head is - I can feel my own gut turning over thinking about my own animals. I hope your friend recovers completely.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.