Fly Tying

Bicolor wrapping

I'm thinking of maybe trying that with mine with a metalic green and another color, will have to see if i think i can tackle 2 colors on the first rod or just stick with one.

SD

I was about the ask the same thing but was checking to see if you had posted it somewhere else already. I'd appreciate seeing it also when you get the time bob smile.gif

It's a simple mater of starting and stopping colors

Step 1

Start your first color thread

Step 2

Wrap 1/3 of the area that should be covered by the guide wrap

Step 3

Add the second color thread leaving the first color to be wrapped along side the second and over the tag end the same as you would if you were starting with one color but now your wrapping with two colors of thread for the second 1/3 of the area to be covered. Before coming to the end of 2/3 of the wrap make sure you add a whipping loop so you can whip off the first color.

Step 4

Whip off the first color and trim the tag end. Then continue the last 1/3 of the wrap with the second color thread and finish as if it was a standard wrap.

I used two diferent colors on this wrap and it's a little harder to see Sorry

user posted image

I thought it was something like that; very nice. I just removed the guides, cork, and reel seat from a 3-wt. (the 2nd I rod I built a few years back) and am hoping to find time to rewrap it this weekend, perhaps I'll try this bicolor technique.

I will do a better step by step later (one where you can see the colors clearer)

I rushed this one just to get it up.

This is as fancy as most fly fisherman want to get with wrapping.

There is a common consensus that less is better and any colors that jump out at you is sort of frond upon.

The handles on the other is another story laugh.gif

make sure to use color preserver as if they go translucent you see all the multicolor tags.....

steve

I just wanted to add a little tip for finishing with your whipping loop. If you lay the loop down a few turns earlier, and trim the tag end of the thread before you pull the loop all the way out, the tag gets buried under the wrap. This way you don't have to worry about flaming it or trimming it when you seal the threads with your flex coat.

i still find a way of freaking having the shortest little nub stick out from time to time.... god i hate that. LOL.

steve