Fly Tying

Scam?

Does seem fishy to me for some reason. He has a ton of them listed, why wouldn't they come with the standard G.Loomis lifetime warranty? I don't see very many people buying them and you would think people would jump all over them for that price. dunno.gif

for that price its almost worth buying one just to try it out, rig it up with inexpensive hardware. if its great well what a deal! if its a suck box then your only out 40$

-T

I wouldn't be too concerned about this being a scam. Blank makers are pretty picky about their blanks. My father-in-law has been able to buy some blanks at the rod builing conclaves for dirt cheap. (I'm talking $10-$20!) The problmes with most of these are just blemishes that most people can't see. The most important thing to look for on a rod is a dent in the surface. That will always be the weakest part of the rod, and will be where it breaks under pressure.

At one of the last conclaves, Todd from Lamiglas gave my father-in-law 2 of the Ti2000 prototypes...Just GAVE them to him... Todd told him that they couldn't be packaged and sold because they weren't quite up to production statndards. I've seen them. The look good enough to me.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me that this guy was able to to get these blanks cheap and sell them at these prices. I'm just guessing that Loomis didn't want his name on the blanks in case they weren't up to his standards. Hence no labels or warranties.

most likely they are seconds... they can also be a blank that hes trying to sell as a loomis, but i doubt it for the money hes asking. bottom line-if it doesn't have the logo on the blank its not a loomis, same thing can be said for a lot of rods. Most everyone backs their product and dont' make money if they throw away blanks that they view as up to snuff. Now, it may very well be just cosmetic blems in the finish, or maybe the person didn't cut it within specs after they popped it off the mandrel. you just don't know.

seconds is a fuzzy area..... some like to take advantage of the "no logo no warranty" situation, while others are perfectly fishable rods. its hard to say which is which.

steve

So how good is this Warranty?

Ship the damaged rod or reel in a disposable container, prepaid and insured, along with a check or money-order for $20 to cover return shipping and handling for each claim in the U.S. If the shipping length is 9’ or longer, the shipping and handling fee is $45. Send directly to:

G.Loomis, Inc.

Warranty Service

1359 Down River Drive

Woodland, WA 98674

Should damage occur due to defect, G.Loomis will, at the company’s discretion, either repair or replace the product at no charge. Damages occurring due to neglect, accident or normal wear and tear will, at the company’s discretion, be repaired or replaced for a specific fee. A full estimate will be provided for your approval before any repair work is initiated.

The Warranty Disclamer also states

Should we decide to replace the damaged product, but no longer offer that model, we will replace it with what we determine to be the closest comparable model from our current product line.

dunno.gif

OSD.

I too believe they are seconds. Probably nothing wrong with them performance wise. I bought an IMX 8'6" 3WT. for 66.00 in June. It has a cosmetic flaw but will make an excellent rod.

To the best of my knowledge, some of the Loomis blanks in the past have been manufactured by other companies. Once Loomis closes a blank in a series out, or the blanks that are manufactured for them are not up to snuff, the blanks go on sale for a low, low price. This is the same chain of events that occurs with many other rod manufacturers that don't necessarily roll their blanks in-house. Some manufacturers simply won't offer second-hand blanks; T & T comes to mind. If you ever see a T & T factory second blank, you can bet that it's a fake; they trash those blanks! As for these Loomis blanks, this guy has been selling them for a couple of years; who knows if they're legit. Really, if the price is right and the blank is offered in the weight, length, and number of pieces you're interested in, why not try them? Heck, a lot of blanks on the market have no warranty...