Fly Tying
ChuckingFluff

JVICE has landed

Well the new Jvice has finally hit the door step. I managed to take a few pictures but I'll do my best to get some better images and a bit of a review up in the new year. All I can say now is that I'm very happy with it.

Top view with the Pro Jaws mounted on the side of the base.

28915494.jpg

38416485.jpg

These pro jaws can hold a very large hook.

48660945.jpg

Vise with the midge jaws

dscn5315w.jpg

Size 12 1X fly in the midge jaws, lots of room to work. You can bend the hook in the jaws, it really holds the small hooks tight.

54478004.jpg

Size 18 fly in the midge jaws, and still lots of room to work. I had a bare size 22 in it a couple of days ago and when I find the hooks again I'll post a picture. These jaws are great for the small stuff.

90095352.jpg

The vise can also be mounted on the front of the base if you need it closer to you.

94083888.jpg

So far I'm really impressed with this vise and Jay over at Jvice is great to deal with.

Ian

Cool beans, Ian! The red looks really sharp! One question though, how far away is that material spring from the fly? It looks like an awful long way away...

Great looking vise thanks alot for sharing. I am looking forward to reading the review when you put it up. What's the ballpark cost on this vise?

Cool beans, Ian! The red looks really sharp! One question though, how far away is that material spring from the fly? It looks like an awful long way away...

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

There is a removable material holder on the pro jaws that I can attach to the midge ones if I need to. I also have a streamer attachment to manage the really long ones.

5 weight I gave Jay a budget of $350 US to play with shipped and this is what I got: He was very kind with the freebies.

-Vice

-Oak base

-parachute attachment (free, I was expecting it)

-streamer attachment

-bobbin holder (free and I wasn't expecting it)

-pro jaw

-midge jaw

-front mount attachment (free since it was a little discolored)

-carrying case (free and I wasn't expecting it)

I'll be adding more accessories in the new year; the hair stacker and the tube fly attachment.

It really is an over engineered piece of art that's a joy to tie on and Jay is really cool to deal with.

Tree-Fitty for all that! Seems like a good deal, compared to several other brands out there.

three fifty shipped to the front door. I was going to get the DK barracuda but this ended up being cheaper.

Had I been paying retail for the DK I would've done the same thing!

Have you clamped a 6/0 iron in those jaws yet? Max. capacity is 6/0 right?

You sure got the Santa deal!

What I like about it is the fact there is a lot of room behind the jaws for materials and a hand while tying. Most of the true rotaries make me hold my left hand in an awkward position to tie on materials.

Oh...and the candy apple red is nice as well :D

It is nice to see another JVice has been purchased. I am the proud owner of vise #43, which I received in the spring of 2004. It was actually the second vise shipped to the USA. I wrote a review here:

J-Vice

Mine is just one of a couple that have the "bent arm".... a simplified version of his original hinged vise-arm that (as I recall) was recommended to him by Hans Weilenmann after Hans wrote a favorable review about that time. I have pictures of both the original and the bent arm model on my Web.

Jay sent me last year the retrofit kit for the gooseneck (like the one you have) and it is wonderful. Loren Williams of NY helped in the designing of the goose-neck version.

The standard jaws have also been redesigned from the original. The new ones are more pointed, which I favor personally, as most of my tying is with sizes 20 to 4 and this seems to work fine for each.

The $182 price tag I paid at the time was pretty cool, too.

Enjoy your new tool.

Peter F.