Fly Tying
getholdofjoru

Clear Mono as a tying thread?

Some old timers used it and can be very effective when tied as an overbody as fly below represnts, this was tied by George Grant and uses a colored underbody followed by mono overbody and looks pretty good to me

Bruce

post-4571-1262653862_thumb.jpg

I use an invisible darning thread avaiable at most craft and Walmart stores, ready spooled and about 2lb test. Works great and very cheap....................

Mike

Great for scuds as well. Mono base, lead (sub) wraps for weight, tie in your favorite shell back, dub and then pull shell back down and use mono for ribbing and tie off.

Ditto on all the above. I use Danville 006. It is spooled as a thread is so I might have some severe coils when using for a tippet. But I bet it works good none the less. Mono is a great ribbing material. I say keep a spool in your kit. It is cheap and can be used most any time. Be careful when spinning and stacking, it tends to cut through hair pretty easily sometimes as it does not lay flat.