Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SDHflyfisher

biggest trout from small stream

My biggest trout and only trout was caught in a stream about 2 feet wide with undercut banks in Salisbury MA. Now its condos and exec culde sac. It was a 7" brook trout we called a saltie it was brackish water leading into the Merrimac. And I caught it on the smallest roostertail in purple.

And I did let it go. It had the most awesome colored dots on it with vivid whites.

Dave

I was fishing a small stream this past New Year's Day and I had been using midges, but I came across this nice big, deep hole about a mile away from where I parked. It was about 8 ft. across and 3 1/2 ft. deep. I saw how deep it was and tied on a Wooly Bugger. I made a cast at the bank on the opposite side, and the first strip of the line I made, I hooked up. An 18" Brown was later at my feet. Believe it or not this was the one time I didn't have a camera with me. :blink:

My biggest trout is my only trout. I caught an 18in Rainbow on a creek that was narrow enough for me to jump across when I was like 12. To be honest it was cool but I did not catch the trout bug. Dad keeps telling me I will once I get to do it again for real.

When I was 14, I went backpacking through the mountains around Cimmeron, New Mexico at the Philmont Boyscout Ranch. We came accross a small stream that was in some spots just 1 1/2 to 2 feet wide. Max in the big pools was 10 feet. I caught a bunch of 7-10 inch brook trout. Very beautiful fish! Wish I had a camera then.

Duckydoty

This is a picture of the biggest fish I have ever seen caught from a very small stream. My friend caught this 16 inch brown on the Jemez river in the Valles Caldera reserve in Northern New Mexico in the summer of 2004. I took the picture. You can see the grass on both banks in this picture. In many places, the water is less than a foot from bank to bank. We had the best luck on little tan hopper patterns. I've posted about this trip previously. It is an amazing place!

post-433-1138494614_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of the biggest fish I have ever seen caught from a very small stream. My friend caught this 16 inch brown on the Jemez river in the Valles Caldera reserve in Northern New Mexico in the summer of 2004. I took the picture. You can see the grass on both banks in this picture. In many places, the water is less than a foot from bank to bank. We had the best luck on little tan hopper patterns. I've posted about this trip previously. It is an amazing place!

Wow! Beautiful fish! If you don't mind, could you give a link to the thread about your trip? I would like to read that!

Wow! Beautiful fish! If you don't mind, could you give a link to the thread about your trip? I would like to read that!

I hope this works.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...=valles+caldera

My post doesn't have any pictures any more because I stored them on an account I no longer have but you can also google the valles caldera and visit their site. Its an amazing place.