Fly Tying
Gregg

Want to tie better flies???

I am 41, and this winter when I busted out my fly tying gear to beef up my fly boxes, I noticed I simply couldn't see well enough up close to tie the flies any more. I was crest fallen. I have tied flies since I was 9 and my dad bought me a box of tying stuff at an estate sale. a year later he got me some classes at the "firehouse flyfishing" shop in Saginaw Michigan. I learned all the essentials, and I have been refining my skills ever since. I wouldn't say I am an expert or anything, but I tied all most all the flies I have used for fishing for the last 30 years of fishing.

Well once I found out I couldn't see well enought to tie, I freaked out a little. I was planning on spending a lot of couch time over the holilday's tying up a bunch of stuff. My wife had a hands free magnifier for some needlework she does. (http://www.amazon.com/Wearing-Magnifier-Glasses-Magnifying-Power/dp/B000BKXHWW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1261931798&sr=8-9) In desperation, I tried it on to see if I could make it work well enough to get some flies tied. It was awkward at first, but after 5 or 6 flies, not only did it work, but I was able to tie flies far better then I ever have in my last 30 years of tying. I felt like I had some much more precise control then I ever had without the magnifier. It was a revelation, I should have been doing this the whole time. If you haven't tried a magnifier before, don't walk...run to go get one. I was amazed at how much better I was with it.

One thing I noticed, is that you had to keep your head at a specific distance from the fly to keep it in focus. I learned that I move my head a lot while tying. Look at the side, move to look down from the top, back and forth, etc. Each time I had to try and keep focus. It was a pain. I have been unwilling to switch from my fixed vice to a rottary. I guess I am a little stubborn. However, after an hour of tying, I realized, I am going to have to make the change. Having a rotary so I can view the fly from all sides without moving my head (and keeping focus) is going to make things go a lot quicker.

Anyway, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. It was such a shocking improvement to me, and I guess I assume that not that many people use a magnifier, so I thought I would mention it on here, and maybe someone else can benefit.

Greg

I agree with you that a close-up look can help enormously with the quality of your tying. If you find it a pain to refocus after each head move I suggest you look into a head-mounted magnifier like the OptiVISOR. I frequently use mine when tying flies smaller than #14.

I am using a head visor, I just meant that usines a fixed vise, when I try to see the side of the fly, then the top of the fly, then back to the side of the fly, each time I have to regain a focus. I think using a rotary vise will help me move the fly instead of my head.

I'm ALMOST 41, and about the only parts of me which aren't beat up are my eyes. Throughout my military career I always tested 20/15 - 20/10 vision, up close, far away, didn't matter. And now, guess what, up close I'm beginning to get "tired" eyes after only a short time doing detailed work. Never thought it would happen to me but it appears to be starting. :crying: :crying:

I started tying small flies with drug store reading glasses. They basically work as a magnifier and I can see really small details well. And, I can focus anywhere on the whole desk which is something I was worried about. The only thing I can't do is focus on the TV across the room. I used the smallest amount of magnification they sold and they work wonders on the small stuff and help my eyes not to get so tired.

I use reading glasses also, x3.75. Tried using the magnifier in the circular light thingy, but looking thru one magnifying lens screwed up my depth perception. Don't have that problem with reading glasses.

I also use the Shoprite version of the reading glasses. 7.99 for the glasses. I think they're better than the dollar store ones. I use 1.0 for most tying and switch to 1.5 for anything 20 and under.

I love the rotary vise. I have a Dyna King Barracuda and it's great. I don't know what you tie but I have a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler I am probably selling.

Jeremy.

I'll add my vote for the OptiVisor. But I must admit I hate wearing it for an extended period of time. That fake leather headband on my head with no hair is no fun, especially in the winter.

It is interesting your comment about using a rotary vise as well. I've tried that and frankly while it may do something about the focus, I just can't tie on the dang things. I have tried them all (save the NorVise) and just can't seem to get comfortable, so I need to sell them and move on.

Has anyone tried the small, rimless magnifier that mounts on the vise post like a light?

Bob

Yup! Been there. I'll be 51 shortly and have had bifocals for the past 10 years..... they are a pain for tying, I usually take my glasses off when tying... I can see the vise and the fly real well but most stuff on the bench gets fuzzy. I tried the dime store magnifying glasses but my right and left eye are fairly different, what helps one eye is a detriment to the others focus! I may have to invest in a large field magnifier on a swing arm.

I went and got glasses, with bi-focals. works great but still use the daylighter magnifier combos. You can get a few cheaper models at wally world but they have a rim around it. I prefer the rimless ones. I also use a rotary vise.

post-624-1262544179_thumb.jpg

I use the Opticaid magnifiers both at work and while tying. So used to having them on it becomes automatic. Unlike the Optivsor, which is also used by many people at work, I am able to look 'around' the lenses to see peripherally. Using loupes takes time for your eyes to get used to, but with time focus becomes automatic.