Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Musings on the season

With this year's season on the wane, I've begun to realize how infrequent my trips to the water have been this year. The weather and my back conspired to keep my wanderings to a minimum. So, in desperation and the desire to do some tying, I decided to inventory my fly box. It's like a trip down memeory lane.

The box is a veritible hodgepodge of tinsel and feathers. Most of the creations were probably designed to catch fisherman instead of fish. I just can't seem to pass up any interesting recipes that I haven't tried before. But, there are a half dozen that are old favorites.

A "No-hackle Tree Trimmer" that didn't start out as a no-hackle fly. Those treacherous courses through numerous leaves and branches have left it rather sparse. My "Blue Dun Bush Bagger", good for bushes knee high to head high. I think it became a blue dun after an encounter with an ink berry bush. The "Herl Body Stump Snagger" and right beside it a "Royal Root Wrapper"; what a combo. Fished in tandem, these two wet flys are guaranteed to find any subsurface obstruction. A "Spent Wing Ear Piercer"; my first attempt at fishing a barbless hook. Couldn't get it out of my ear with the barb in place. Not originally designed as a spent wing; I stomped on it in a fit of pique. Then there's my "Gold Ribbed Hat Grabber". Used on hot days it usually helped keep me cool. It too is fished barbless for apparent reasons.

Now with a new season to look forward to, I can only wonder what new and exciting fly patterns will be created to tweek my memory in seasons to come.

Yours ever damp in the seat

D. Waterflogger rolleyes.gif