Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Trout fishing in Wyoming/Montana

I am planning a trip for the summer of 2005 to Wyoming/Montana to do some fishing. We'll be in the Yellowstone area for sure. My wife and I will be doing some exploring and photography of Yellowstone.

I'm looking for some suggestions of where to fish and some guides and/or flyshops to contact while I am there. I am planning on being there for 2 weeks so I want to hook up with a guide for at least several days while I am there.

I would also like to do a bit of exploring of some rivers/streams by myself.

Thanks

Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone is a great shop. They're extremely helpful, and Craig Matthews(owner) is originally from MI. As for fishing the park As long you get there after the cuttthroat season opens up if I had to recommend one spot in the park it would be to hike up Slough creek and fish one of the meadow sections. Great scenery and great fishing! If you want numbers, fish one of the small streams like Obsideon crk, Panther crk or the Upper Gardner. You can't keep the brookies off your line. smile.gif

Bob Jacklin in West Yellowstone is a very good one as is Kelly Galloup. I know Bob from the Federation of Fly Fishers

In Jackson, Wyoming I would look up Jack Dennis fly shop and Jeff Courier should be able to take care of you.

Irish

I'm a small stream guy and I went out to Montana last fall beginning of October. Fished the Lamar and Soda Butte area. Based myself out of the Cooke City area. Good access into Yellowstone,and the Beartooths for some lake and small stream fishing. The scenery is outstanding and it offers pletny of restaurants, etc. I'll see if I can dig up the guide info and post it for you.

You're going to have a great time.

Summer is a pretty broad time-span. When, specifically, are you planning on being in Yellowstone? There's a world of difference between Memorial Day weekend and Labor day weekend, and a lot of options in between. Runoff can be a major issue in the NE part of the park well into June, depending on snowpack, etc. The firehole can fish wonderfully early, but gets way too warm later in the summer. You'll be able to get a lot more accurate information if you can narrow your trip window down to a the two weeks if you have an idea of when you'll be there.

As previously mentioned, Craig Matthews and Kelly Galloup are both great guys and both have excellent shops, guides, info. I'd also recommend Bud Lilly's Trout Shop in West - just down the street from Blue Ribbon. Kelly's right on the Madison at Slide Inn about 25 miles from West.

Also, it may make a slight difference if your wife will be fishing WITH you, or if she will be watching you fish. Where does fishing rank in the list of priorities for the TWO of you?

All good advice, but if you're going to be in West Yellowstone you must go to the Henry's Fork at least one day. Last Chance, ID is only about 50 miles southwest of Yellowstone. There isn't anything better than having a 20"+ Rainbow sipping #18 dry fly.

Sign in to follow this