Fly Tying
VERN-O

Anyone used one of these?

I have one and I like it Vern. It takes a little getting used to the single leg design, but the tension control is easy to set. I use it mainly for very fine threads such as Spiderweb and Benecchi threads, I find the Gnarled edges on the Benecchi spools catch on the legs of conventional bobbins.

I have one, and it is an excelent quality bobbin, but i just cant get used to the one leg design, to me it feels like something is missing, so i dont use it

i guess that too many years of using the other style bobbins have ruined me

I have been using them for many years and is the best bobbin that I have used. Being able to set the tension to your liking makes all the difference.

I have both the standard and the magnum models. I use the magnum most, for every size fly. Like the longer reach and control.

I hardly ever use the tension control, I just set the tension so thread doesn't come off the spool just hanging there, and use my

palm to adjust the thread tension on the run. Never had any problems with fraying or anything else.

If your thinking about getting one, don't hesitate.

I use the standard and ceramic mag versions for full rotary tying. They are excellent for rotary tying because you can set the thread tension to release thread without having to hold the bobbin while you spin the hook shank. They also will accept just about any diamether bobbin and may different lengths of bobbin also. I have pretty much switched over to them for 90% of my tying. I find them worth every penny.

I have a few of them on the bench - the best bobbin I have ever used .......Frank

I have a couple of the standard bobbins now and really like them.

I was going in to get the Mag bobbin as recommended by Chris Helm for making bass bugs but when I went into the Bears Den Fly Shop they had just got in some of the standard bobbins with a nice piece of hardwood where the tube connects to the arm instead of the vinyl covering. Think its called the Wasatch Rite Bobbin. I really like the feel of the wood and think it was worth the couple of extra dollars if you can find the ones with the wood accent. Bears Den does have a website if you can't find the Wasatch Rite bobbin at your usual supplier and want to try it.

I've had my rite bobbing for a couple of weeks now....and I have to say I really like it and consider it a good investment to my tying......I've noticed that I lay down thread more consistently and smoother than previously (without any effort, but to me it's noticeable)

On the con side...I find it a little difficult to adjust the tension while tying

and the bigger con is that my materials get tangled easier with the missing arm....especially with long strand materials like estaz and chennile.........I consider these minor compared to the smoothness and the control