Fly Tying
gkobes

EP Baitfish?

what is the "basic tying" for one of these and what materials do you use.

I have been tying for a little over a month now and want to try some more complicated flies

Here is a video on how to tie the fly

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Puglisi_Baitfish.htm

The fly is usually tied with Enrico Puglisi fibers but you can tie them with other similar synthetics like Congo Hair. Just remember to keep it sparse. The fly will fill up and get bulky quicker than you think.

gkobes,

Agn is right when he said that the fly is tied with EP Fibers. There are a number of materials that can be used. The video that he posted is one way of tying this pattern. Enrico Puglisi markets the fibers and he is the person who designed this pattern and a few more. His tying method differs quite a bit from that video. However like music & movies, flytying is a personal choice as far as how one ties flies. There are other ways to tie using materials like EP Fibers. There are a couple EP Baitfish patterns. What particular baitfish are you trying imitate and fish? I tie a few of Enrico's patterns and I can help if you want. I enjoy tying with this material and the best thing...the patterns catch fish.

Steve

i havent lookd to closly at different varients but i would like to get a shad and a bluegill and mabey even a bass colored one that i would use in lakes in nebraska mostly

gkobes,

In the next couple of days I will tie a Bluegill & Shad pattern then post here. Haven't had a camera to take photos until now.

Steve

gkobes,

Agn is right when he said that the fly is tied with EP Fibers. There are a number of materials that can be used. The video that he posted is one way of tying this pattern. Enrico Puglisi markets the fibers and he is the person who designed this pattern and a few more. His tying method differs quite a bit from that video. However like music & movies, flytying is a personal choice as far as how one ties flies. There are other ways to tie using materials like EP Fibers. There are a couple EP Baitfish patterns. What particular baitfish are you trying imitate and fish? I tie a few of Enrico's patterns and I can help if you want. I enjoy tying with this material and the best thing...the patterns catch fish.

Steve

Does Puglisi have a book or video explaining his method of tying the EP baitfish or anything else with EP fibers? I've seen a few videos of some of his crab imitations and baitfish flies but never anything by him personally, so I don't know how closely these followed his original patterns. He seems to keep his technique pretty close to the vest.

agn54,

To my knowledge I have never seen a book with Enrico doing the actual tying until recently. He has a website epflies.com in which he shows how to tie his flies. I have 3 magazine articles in which he wrote and tied his "Peanut Butter" pattern or Pumpkinseed pattern. I met him at a Trout Unlimited meeting in Vienna Va. over 10 years ago. Then I would see him at the fishing shows at the Univ. of Md., Somerset & the Symposiums. He would be tying his baitfish patterns and giving tying lessons. He is more then willing to share his patterns with anyone. For years a few friends of his, that I met around 6 or 7 years ago, who also tie and/or have flyshops around the New York, New Jersey area have tried to get him to do a book or video. His method is different then what has been offered anywhere on this particular post or anywhere I've seen. Not to say the other methods are "not good" or anything. I hope everyone understands where I'm coming from. It does not make them any better or worse then any other way. Enrico has been very kind to me at the different shows. I would watch him intently & ask all kinds of crazy questions. Next to tying deer hair bass bugs it is one of my favorite flies to tie. I would be willing to do a step by step instruction for those who would like to see my way. It differs just slightly from Enrico's however it is basically his pattern. I will post a couple of flies in the next few days like I said in an earlier post for gkobes. Trying to work out details using a camera & then upload, etc.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the length.

Steve

Steve,

I (and I'm sure many others) would love to see a step-by-step. Enrico probably figures it's a lot easier to do the videos for his website than write a book. I don't blame him, but if he ever did write one I'm sure it would be a top seller among fly tyers. I'll have to check out the web page, it looks like there are a lot of cool patterns on there. It seems every place I have found has a slightly different method for tying them, but I am curious about how the original was tied. Thanks for the info.

gkobes,

I apologize for not getting those photos for you before now. I did not realize at the time I mentioned it that my wife's digital camera would not take the photos I thought it would. Her big clumsy husband dropped it not too long ago and forgot about it. So hopefully I can replace it real soon and get the photos and the step by step on the posts.

Steve

gkobes,

I apologize for not getting those photos for you before now. I did not realize at the time I mentioned it that my wife's digital camera would not take the photos I thought it would. Her big clumsy husband dropped it not too long ago and forgot about it. So hopefully I can replace it real soon and get the photos and the step by step on the posts.

Steve

dont worry about it all of ht elinks and advise has been very helpful. but what hasnt been helpful is none of the stores around me that sell fly tying materials like to have the fibers in stock...

If you go to his site epflies.com you can look up dealers in the state you live in. You do not have to join to get that info or pattern recipes. You do if you want to look at the videos.

Steve