Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

For Arkansas Mike...Christmas Eve 'Chupa

Mike and several other members, myself included, were engaged in a humorous thread concerning the recovery of wings from a Chupacabra that was "thought" to be making its humble residence in a cave on a favorite stretch of Mike's beloved White River. Here's a factual retelling of events on Christmas Eve that my deputies have titled the "Tale of the Great Chrsitmas Eve Chupacabra".

Working and managing a county jail is a thankless and nasty job. It's one of the most physically and psychologically demanding things I have ever done in my professional life. I manage a crew of 6 (including myself) and 300+ inmates. It's daunting at the very least. As a token as my sincere gratitiude for the wonderful effort given each night by my staff, Jamie prepared several boxes of homemade fudges which I dutifully delivered around midnight on Christmas Eve. I made my rounds throughout the facility and made sure each deputy was aware of the treats waiting to be plundered. With my rounds complete, I exited the jail into the parking lot, accompanied by two very trusted deputies. While we stood in the parking lot, talking of Christmas and feeling the anticipation in the air, we joked and laughed and enjoyed the crisp, winter sky ablaze with a million blue-diamond stars. I told my guys I would do a "drive around" and check the perimeter before I left the grounds. Just as the statement rolled from my lips, I heard a horrible sound coming from the periphery of the perimeter, in the dark, near a pair of railroad tracks hidden on the far side of a tree line. The noise was animal. It sound distressed, maybe even injured. It was loud, and resonated in my chest. It was deep and guttural, like a cross between a dying elk and an elephant. I stoo very still and looked toward the treeline. My two deputies were engaged in small talk and didn't seem to hear what I thought I had heard. Just as I was about to chalk it up to an auditory glitch in my middle ear, I heard it again. This time, much closer, and much louder. This time, both of my deputies fell silent and immediately fixed thier attention on the treeline. I asked, "So you assholes heard that too, huh?" One of the guys said, "yeah, I heard it the first time. What the hell is that? A cow?" It wasn't a cow. We remained silent for a moment and strained to listen to the silence. Just as I was about to speak, "whatever" it was, groaned, then growled. I said, "Alright, let's see what this thing is." I got into my truck, retrieved a side arm from under the seat, plugged in the ol' 2-million power search light and drove towards the tree line, a mere 150 ft away, but in total darkness. I scoured the tree light with the light and show no signs of movement. Nothing moved in the stillness of th night. I got out of my truck and shouted back to my guys. "I don't know what it was, but its not here now." both walked to where i parked and began to wonder out loud of the the possibilities" lost doe/fawn? injured animal on the rail line? Some sort of mechanical source? We had just about chalked it up to our imagination when someone said, "Maybe it's a Chupacabra!" and just as we began to laugh, "IT" howled. I mean friggin' freakin' friggin' HOWLED like a howler monkey. It was no canine howl. It sound as if this "thing" had just crawled from the bowels of Hell and was screaming it's demonic birth cries. I have never heard anything like it in my life. The three of us, well trained, educated, and ARMED men, stood very still and didn't dare as much blink. Again, I could fell the howl resonate through my chest. Later, the other two men told me they, too, "felt" the howl. I caught movement of something just inside the treeline, but down about 25 yards down from our location. What ever it was, it's silohuette was larger than that of a man, and it moved in a loping fashion, but was fluid and smooth. It appeared to qaudrapedal, but the front "legs" appeared to be move like arms, like an orangatuan(sp ?). All of us saw it. It moved out of the treeline, quickly, and easier, crossed a creek, jumped over a huge stack of pallets on the edge of the maintenance barns, and was gone. The whole physical sighting lasted literally only seconds, then it was gone. One deputy states that he didn't think the "thing" was as large as I thought it to be, while the other believes it to be larger, and more goat like. I can still only describe it as bigger than a man (height and width), and almost bipedal, but not human or apelike in appearance, only in its movement. One of the perimeter cameras actually captured a very brief glimpse of this thing as it bound over the stack of pallets. The camera is an old black and white fix mounted camera approximately 100 ft from the pallets. Given the distance of the camera and the height of the pallets, all I can say is this thing, whatever it was, was HUGE. We have recounted this story several times to other officers and have done so with a smile and a half-heart laugh, but I can tell you this, it's very unnerving to see something that you cannot explain or even effectively describe knowing that everything you know about the physical world tells you that what you are experiencing is not real, and yet, the experience was very real, and even caught on camera. It was "strange"....very ...um....strange. We have conducted our routine perimeter checks, just as we do each and every day. I'm glad to report there has not been any further activty noted by other deputies....yet. Most of the staff have seen the video tape...most just shrug thier shoulders and say "I just don't know."

Believe I'm gonna pass on the 'Chupa expedition...not sure my DOC Ninja Skills are gonna even be close to being enough, Mike.

mayb the fudges/browny was a SPECIAL that your friend had cooked up? if not... that is one scary a** story!

if you catch whatever it was, make sure you get some of if it's goat like hair for your fly collection! :ph34r:

I tell ya, I have seen a lot of things at county that made me shiver, but nothing like this...We still laugh about it, and at ourselves, but it's an "uneasy" laughter....very surreal experience. If I had been by myself, I could have played it off, but with THREE of us seeing it, that makes it something else entirely....I have every intention of letting this thing remain "free range".

OH MY GOD THAT'S GREAT!!!!! I wish it had been that "friendly". I got the sense this thing wasn't going to be receptive to a social exchange of pleansantries. It was odd, Jim. Almost ghoulish....I keep gettin visions of a Krampus when I think about it.

Chris, could be we were on the verge of a momentous tragedy sending one man in

after a Chupa. After hearing about this, I think it is best if we send Jamie

in with some of her brownies. I know, I know...it sounds cruel, but that'll teach 'em

to go around scaring big and burly macho he-man prison guard types.

I'm packing up our beer...(er...supplies) as we speak. Should be in Kentucky

tomorrow eve. Stay brave, my friend.

Sincerely,

Mike

P.S. Please ask Jamie to bake up plenty of brownies.

Just dont know, man. Great story... don't know how much of it is story truth or happening truth but a great story nonetheless.

"the periphery of the perimeter" ?? :hyst: :hyst:

was that thing going TOWARDS or AWAY FROM the lockup?

hell, it could have been one of my long-lost kinfolk who emigrated from Pennsylvania to Kentucky!! Did it have a bad odor? That would pretty much confirm it...

We have recounted this story several times to other officers and have done so with a smile and a half-heart laugh, but I can tell you this, it's very unnerving to see something that you cannot explain or even effectively describe knowing that everything you know about the physical world tells you that what you are experiencing is not real, and yet, the experience was very real, and even caught on camera. It was "strange"....very ...um....strange.

I haven't seen anything like your animal but know that feeling very well.

I saw a darkened chevron shape aircraft flying low over my town around 4:30am 6-7 years ago. It was low and huge. It looked a lot like the stealth bomber but about 4x as big and when it passed almost dirrectly above me it made no sound at all...yet it couldn't have been more than a couple thousand feet above the ground. The only reason i saw it at all was that 5 strips around the leading edge of it were reflecting the light orangish glow from the street lights. It was impossable to get an exact idea of the shape of the rear of it since the only "veiw" of the rear was seeing the stars reappear from the back of it.

I do live near military areas and the general heading of it would send it toward Peterson Air feild (about 40miles away) so i do think it was something secrete from them but the shiver that went up my spine as it passed made me understand why so many people spook out and claim it is aliens...it just isn't in your normal life and makes an impact on you. I do wonder what they were up to going over town like that though...?

Unlike you, i keep hoping to see mine again...maybe when they declassify it...so i can say; see, i told you it was real.

I was talking to Chris and told him how Southwest Arkansas/Eastern Oklahoma

has been a Bigfoot sighting "hotspot" since back in the 40's. Even State Troopers

have seen them supposedly. Some of you may have seen the documentaries

about Arkansas Bigfoot on Discovery. There is a town down south on the Arkansas

Louisiana border, Fauke, that they call Monster City. Everything is "monster"...

Monster Cafe...Monster Convenience Store, etc. They made a "fictional" movie back in the

70's about it, Legend of Boggy Creek. My Great Grandfather story has

it, actually saw a footprint down there in the swamps. Alas, I've lived here pretty much

my entire life and have never seen one. I'm skeptical, but like I told Chris...I've heard some

mighty scary sounds down on the river bottoms in the middle of the night.

Mike

It was a creepy experience. Growing up in the mountains, one hears the folklore of the "old timers", especially "Jack Tales", but after moving away from my mountains and becoming "twice over educated" at two major universities, one kinda "gets above his raising" and thinks he has the whole world figured out. Well, I can tell you, I'm no genuis, but I'm not stupid, and yet the supersitious hillbilly in me wanted to yell "haint!!!" and run for the old King James. I'm sure what ever this thing was, it was real, and not some unknown Creature X lurking in the shadows. I just wish I knew what it was. I'm glad it was moving away from us and the facility. I've never heard such a growl/howl and felt it resonate and vibrate like this one did....a hybrid mixture of an elk bugling, an elephant trumpeting, and bear growling....it was weird.

J,

I did notice a strong odor about the area, but it was more of a "I been picking my toes and chewing my nails" Buckeye smell than a PA smell! LOL!

I do wonder what they were up to going over town like that though...?

Unlike you, i keep hoping to see mine again...maybe when they declassify it...so i can say; see, i told you it was real.

sensor calibration in a real-world environment- IR, thermal, low-density radar, visual, comms issues, etc. Need to see how all the stuff behaves out of a controlled setting.

Nevermind though, because you didn't see what you saw, because it doesn't exist. :ph34r:

sensor calibration in a real-world environment- IR, thermal, low-density radar, visual, comms issues, etc. Need to see how all the stuff behaves out of a controlled setting.

Nevermind though, because you didn't see what you saw, because it doesn't exist. :ph34r:

Oh, yes it DOES exist... I admit that my perspective of it's size could have been off since it was so hard to even tell the altitude well from lack of vizable cues. It had no lights, just the slight reflection of the street lights on the strips that ran around the leading edge from top to bottom. If it was lower than i think it could be smaller, but if it was higher it is even bigger. I have seen the stealth bomber durring fly-bys at the Air Force Acadamy.

The scarry part is that i wouldn't have had the faintest clue it was around if i hadn't been looking up trying to imagine the lay-out of the pyramids matching Orion/Osirus from a show i had watched a couple days before...I never would have seen it if i hadn't been looking almost right at the point it appeared out of.

Unlike the strange fire balls i saw between 5:30 and 6am this morning...there were 4 smaller ones over that time but 2 were about as big looking as the moon...it is at about half this morning. The bright ones lit up the streets. I end up stuck wandering half this city between 2am and 7am...you do seem to see some odd things around those hours.

Is there any chance at all that your animal was a cat? I know that the mountain lions and lynx down around Rye and Colorado city make some of the weirest, scarriest sounds you can imagine at times...The eerie part is that i have never been able to actually track one while making those noises. It is something that you can "feel" when they are close also. They grunt and growl along with a yelping bugle type sound and something like a tortured baby screeming as well, only louder than any kid i have ever heard. It is spooky when you are out alone at night durring that. I have been told that it is mating calls but don't know beyond that.

Oh, yes it DOES exist... I admit that my perspective of it's size could have been off since it was so hard to even tell the altitude well from lack of vizable cues. It had no lights, just the slight reflection of the street lights on the strips that ran around the leading edge from top to bottom. If it was lower than i think it could be smaller, but if it was higher it is even bigger. I have seen the stealth bomber durring fly-bys at the Air Force Acadamy.

The scarry part is that i wouldn't have had the faintest clue it was around if i hadn't been looking up trying to imagine the lay-out of the pyramids matching Orion/Osirus from a show i had watched a couple days before...I never would have seen it if i hadn't been looking almost right at the point it appeared out of.

there is a light-absorbing (and radar absorbing, and sound absorbing) coating over most of it, so what appears "black" really isn't black, it's just an absence of everything else. Hardly reflect anything at all. Like you said, not too many people are out staring at the sky in town at 0400. Audible noise signature severely suppressed, so there is nothing to hear unless you are working on it... the propulsion and lift-producing systems don't make a lot of noise to begin with. the mix of environmental factors in a city/town - such as power grid harmonics, thermal variances due to random man-made things (streets, houses, cars, streetlights, transformers, etc), various radio and microwave emissions, all that jazz plus a lot more - are difficult to duplicate in a lab or isolated test range. sensors must be, at some point, tested in the real world.

but, like I said, it doesn't exist, so don't worry about it. just be glad that if it DID exist, it is ours. But it doesn't exist. Right? ;)