Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Thalweg

10 frozen pheasants in my basement!

I've been tying a little over years (mostly bass stuff) but have gotten into trout stuff a little more lately.

A friend of mine was recently heading out west to do some hunting, so I told him to bring me back any pheasant he got as I could use them for fly tying. Well to make a long story short, I have 10 debreasted frozen pheasant now sitting in my basement.

I know the tails (obviously) are useful and I can just pluck those out... should I just skin out the rest of the bird and cover the skin in Borax? That's what I've read. Anyone got a breakdown of this process? A link would be fine.

Also, what parts of these birds are particularly useful in fly tying other than the tails. The feathers are all very beautiful so I imagine there are lots of uses. I live in the southeast if that's important.

Thanks for any help!

Yes the skin should be in borax. The rump feather are used for wet fly or nymph hackle. The other feathers are used for other type flies. :headbang:

Yes the skin should be in borax. The rump feather are used for wet fly or nymph hackle. The other feathers are used for other type flies. :headbang:

Got one pelted out... should I keep the wings? Lots of meat in there.

I kept the wings- if you can get to some of the meat do it- if not it can dry out a bit. I washed the pelt in dish soap (dawn or farie is great) but they are not very oily birds. Just remember- borax is your friend.

For suggestions of what to tie Jack Gartside's site has one of the best on what to do with pheasant. I think ringneck is one of the most under used materials in the fly tying inventory.

I just started tying some hopper legs from the tail, started out slow but picking up speed.

Got one pelted out... should I keep the wings? Lots of meat in there.

Sorry, no hens in there.

I think I now have what amounts to a lifetime supply of pheasant tails though.

Skidook, thanks for the info.

How do I prep a wing for drying exactly?

I removed all the wings from the pelts and just set them aside... not sure how to save them as there is bone/meat in the wing.

Hey if you ever descide that you have too many tails ill gladly help realieve you of one .I have no idea what i would use it for but i could find something.