Fly Tying
David Legg

How do you store your hooks?

I just dump all my hooks in an old peanut butter jar. Then I fish around in it for an hour until I find a hook that looks like what I want. It's a cool trick they taught me down in Alabama.

Must be hard getting your hand down in a peanut butter jar...what with the cast and all. :crying:

Mike

I just dump all my hooks in an old peanut butter jar. Then I fish around in it for an hour until I find a hook that looks like what I want. It's a cool trick they taught me down in Alabama.

I've had some experience with something like that. Mine were in a box, not a jar. It didn't take me but a moment to come up with a whole bunch of hooks. It was kind of like grabbing a porcupine. :bugeyes: I had enough hooks to keep me busy for quite a while. Great experience. Everyone should try it once.

I have used Rx boxes for years. They have 7 compartments. I put the brand and the model on the side of the box and the size of the hook on the top of the box. Works good for me.

I buy the vitamin planner from farmacy store and use nail polish to wipe off the imprint. Then, I use the magnent strip and cut to size and glue to the bottom of the box. As simple as write down the size and type, dry, wet, curve, etc, to group them.

Also, I only use the largest gap hook at the same size based on hook shank length (in mm). Hook manufacturers told us the size of a hook is determined by hook gap and that does not make sense to me since we try to match the bug by the size, which is the length. I use mostly Daiichi hooks and I measure any straight shank hooks and coordinate with hook size. If I have to buy a different brand hook, I would put the same shank length in the box, even if the size says other wise.

4273524590_dbc95d3102_o.jpg

I buy the vitamin planner from farmacy store and use nail polish to wipe off the imprint. Then, I use the magnent strip and cut to size and glue to the bottom of the box. As simple as write down the size and type, dry, wet, curve, etc, to group them.

Also, I only use the largest gap hook at the same size based on hook shank length (in mm). Hook manufacturers told us the size of a hook is determined by hook gap and that does not make sense to me since we try to match the bug by the size, which is the length. I use mostly Daiichi hooks and I measure any straight shank hooks and coordinate with hook size. If I have to buy a different brand hook, I would put the same shank length in the box, even if the size says other wise.

4273524590_dbc95d3102_o.jpg

That case is identical to some of the CraftMates.

That case is identical to some of the CraftMates.

That could well be as people are finding more uses for them. I was inspired to do so by my wife's vitamin planning.

I use those pharmacy packs for storing prototypes or recent tied bugs I want to take to the stream. I also use them to give flies to my friends. I dont like them for hook storage as it is difficult to get the hooks from the small containers (at least without a wet finger or two skinny ones)

I actually get them free from the pharmacy as they always have a basket out on the counter for free.

hookstorage.jpg

I use the same thing. You can get the 24 pack shown at wal-mart for around 6-7$. Works great. I also added some of the sticky sided magnets to the bottom.