Fly Tying
buggeruser

Trick or Treat bugger materials

I am new to the sight and so far think its great. After a 7 year lay off of flyfishing i am finally getting back into it and was wondering if someone can help me with the materials needed to tye the Trick or Treat Woolly Bugger and the Nightmare. The Bugger is my favorite GOTO fly when things get tough. I would appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks

Hi there buggeruser!

Just a quick question, before you left fishing, did you tie flies? If not, I suggest you buy one of the many beginners kits around which may or may not contain the right materials for a bugger. Never mind though, it's better to work on simpler flies before you try something like a bugger. Once you have grasped the basics, you should be able to look at a fly, and be able to undrestand how to tie it without any instructions or a material list (to some extent).

On the other hand, if you have tied flies before;

Hook; lonshank (any size you want)

Thread: any colour really

Tail: marabou (any colour)

Body: chenille (any colour)

Hackle: palmered hackle (again any colour)

Head/eyes: optional, but either a conehead or dumbell eyes.

Good luck with your tying - let us know how you get on!

Classic Tier

The trick or treat isn't a standard bugger pattern if I recall correctly. I seem to remember it having rubber legs and some other things. I'm sure someone here will know the pattern.

This is a Kelly Galloup pattern. Its is a craw fish type of fly, so it is usually tied in brown and olive colors with orange legs, but it can be tied in any color.

The basic pattern goes like this:

Tail: marabou, (most often with varigated or barred colors) a few strands of crystal chenille along each side. One rubber or sili leg is often tied in along each side of the tail as well

Body: Estaz or crystal chenille palmer with died grizzly saddle or schlappen. Died orange or olive

Legs: barred or speckled sili legs, or rubber legs:

Collar: Barred schlappen to match palmer hackle.

Head: conehead

The pattern can be tied as an articulated streamer. On the rear hook, tie a marabou tail to the rear hook with a little crystal flash on each side with a pair of rubberlegs. Loop this to the front hook. The front hooks starts with the cone head, then wrap to the back, and add a short tuft or two of marabou to just cover the joining loop. Tie in your palmer hackle, and chenille (wire wrapping the palmered hackle will make the fly more durable, so the that in here too.)

Wrap chenille to just behind the cone, leave space for the tie in of legs, and collar. Now spiral wrap your palmer hackle, and counter rib with the wire.

Tie in three rubber or sili legs twice as long as the whole fly. Tie in at the center position 3 on each side tie in and wrap schlappen to fill the space to cone.

The pattern should use soft flowing hackle so that it streams back over the body and give lots of movement.

This link to Mad River Outfitters shows an example

www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-4533-219-galloups-trick-or-treat.aspx

Classic tier Thank You for your response. I have tied flies in the past and actually just broke out the old cabinet where I kept all of my materials. Didnt know I had so much invested. I guess I am trying to find the body material of what they use and the Hackle color. I know I can do the rest. I bought 45.00 dollars worth already from a local shop but they still dont have an idea and I just cant seem to come up with the right look. I know there are several variations of this but looking for the easier one .

Thanks again

Buggeruser

Hi there buggeruser!

Just a quick question, before you left fishing, did you tie flies? If not, I suggest you buy one of the many beginners kits around which may or may not contain the right materials for a bugger. Never mind though, it's better to work on simpler flies before you try something like a bugger. Once you have grasped the basics, you should be able to look at a fly, and be able to undrestand how to tie it without any instructions or a material list (to some extent).

On the other hand, if you have tied flies before;

Hook; lonshank (any size you want)

Thread: any colour really

Tail: marabou (any colour)

Body: chenille (any colour)

Hackle: palmered hackle (again any colour)

Head/eyes: optional, but either a conehead or dumbell eyes.

Good luck with your tying - let us know how you get on!

Classic Tier