Fly Tying
fly thrower

Another Bugger!

Put my self to test on yet another wolly bugger. Still can't get why the tail is square. Yet find out how i stop so early on the hackle. But thsi time it's shorter. And the fly and pics are better

Again feedback on how I can fix all this. Thanks Spencer.

post-24040-1263350002_thumb.jpg

Hi, Spencer. Here are a few step-by-steps that may help.

Look in the database and find a bugger you like and study

the proportions, material application etc. Then try to

duplicate it as close as you can. Main thing...practice,

practice, practice.

http://www.jackgartside.com/step_two_simple_secret_flies.htm

http://www.diptera.co.uk/patterns/w/woolly_bugger_ti.html

http://www.dsflyfishing.com/fly-tying/how-...ep-by-step.html

http://www.unclejakes.net/wooly_bugger.html

http://www.westcoastflyfishers.com/fly_pat...l/beadhead.html

Mike

What are you using for the tailing material, and what kind of hackle are you using for the body hackle?

I am going to pre-suggest, based on what I am seeing that you are probably using marabou for the tail? It appears you have used the straight end fibers along with the fluffier parts, but that the marabou has spun around the hook bend while you were tying it down. I usually use primarily the sides of the marabou feathers for my tails, which are fluffier fibers, though I will use those more gracile fibers at the end sometimes as well. Either way, you need to firmly pinch them to the hook shank as you wrap the thread in order to keep them from spinning around the hook shank, or they will end up twisted around and through the hook bend. Another thing that helps is to make sure you have a very secure thread base running the length of the hook shank for the materials to seat onto before attaching any other materials.

Second, I am guessing you are using something like a short saddle feather for the body hackle. I use very long saddle hackles for that purpose, or lately I have been using Whiting Bugger Packs, which have some amazing hackle that has terrific length on the longer feathers.

Finally, I think you are using a chenille that might be a little too plush for the hook you have there.

Post your address for me or PM me, and I will send you some sample material to tie some buggers that might work better for you, along with a finished bugger to use as a pattern. If you like what you get, you can look for more of the same.

David <><

BTW... don't hesitate to fish that fly. I think you will do well with it. It has a great crayfish shape to it that should trigger strikes!

When I first started tying, I never made anything that looked that good, but my flies still caught fish. :D

Hey. I'm new to this myself but I agree with dave. You need to make sure when you wrap the maribu you have that pinched tight and it gets tied town just on the top. As for the chenele being too large for the hook it appears so, if you don't want to go out and buy a smaller size what you could always do is after you've tied the maribu in just twist it up and wrap the excess around the shank in place of chenele.

Another thing I might add is that it looks like you're coming too close to the hook eye. Crouding it. When you tie in the body material say JUST short of the eye, work the thread back a bit. I'm not sure if that is happening because you're trying to build the head or if It's happening as you whip finish. Are using a whip finish tool or doing it by hand. I personeally do it by hand have never used a tool but that could also be it. Just pay attention to where you're placing your wraps.

What size hook are you tying that on?

Looking good man. I'm new to this myself. Only been tying a few weeks now but I've already seen myself progress a shitload. Of course I'm on unemployment right now with plenty of time on my hands to just bust out dozens of flies daily. I tend to go overboard with stuff i do and I went out and bought a shitload of hooks and materials.

Another thing to think about. The most expensive part of all of this really comes to the hooks. Materials for the things us beginners are tying come cheap. If you produce a fly and don't like the way it came out. Just take a sharp new razor blade run it across the top of the shank and just start over.

Keep going man You're only gonna get better. This is where we make our mistakes, while we are learning. Learning from them is the key. Keep it up bro.

Cheers from Buffalo, NY

So far all good advice. Your materials are tied off too close to the eye, and you head is wrapped over the eye of the hook. Stop and tie your chenille off one eye width back on the shank. Use a longer hackle (tied in by the tip.) Your hackle feather should be about 4 to 6" long. Then you should be able to get 5 to 6 evenly spaced wraps to just the front of the chenille. You should end up with at least one half an eye width of bare shank to form you head wraps and whip finish.

If you're new to tying I think everyone always crowds the eye of the hook when they first start so one solution to that is to use a Cone Head Bead . It gives you weight & alittle easier than wrapping the hook shank with lead... and no worries about the hook eye. One hint would be when working with Marabou ...wet it. This way its easier to control. Remember...practice makes perfect & it looks like you're on your way....keep the pics coming.

Do you have cable internet or dial up? I could show you some tips and basic steps which will help you with your proportions and how "not" to crowd the eye. pm. me if interested and we can meet in the virtual classroom

Bruce