Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joeypm

Somerset Fly Show and bobbins

Hi Joeypm;

While at the "show" try as many as you can and so what you like best. I like the C & F ceramic but buy Cascade Crest tools bobbins which I find identical to C & F but a lot cheaper:

http://cascadecrest.com/index.php?page=sho...t&Itemid=32 $9.00ea for ceramic!

I'll be a Somerset Saturday, I'll be wearing a metallic green & black Nike book bag. I think I'll check out the Ekich and Rite if someone is demoing it.

Wayne

Hi Joeypm;

While at the "show" try as many as you can and so what you like best. I like the C & F ceramic but buy Cascade Crest tools bobbins which I find identical to C & F but a lot cheaper:

http://cascadecrest.com/index.php?page=sho...t&Itemid=32 $9.00ea for ceramic!

I'll be a Somerset Saturday, I'll be wearing a metallic green & black Nike book bag. I think I'll check out the Ekich and Rite if someone is demoing it.

Wayne

That Cascade Crest link shows a bobbin that looks more or less identical to the Griffin, but not so much like the C&F. Is that the right one?

Hi David;

Your absolutely right! I was a little tired when I respinded last night and not thinking straight.

It is a Griffin copy and the Griffin/Cascade Crest bobbin is the bobbin I prefer, not the C & F.

Wayne

the bobbin doesn't make the tyer, the tyer makes the good bobbin, stay simple and ceramic tipped. like the old school. i say less moving parts the better. i'd rather spend a couple bucks on a simple bobbin and use the rest of my money to buy quality materials

Bud

Ok,

Thanks to all for their thoughts. I went early to the show friday since it was my 50th birthday I took the day off!.... I purchased a rite standard... And yes i know the tyer makes the fly but after all these years I think it will help with tension. Also picked up 2 necks some deer tails for clouser minnows. And some tips and hints from the likes of Cathy Beck. Also saw a neighbor 2 doors down from me at one of the tying booths. Flies by George. Had a great time then the wife took me to Maggianos littly italy.... we came home with 2 bags of leftovers.....

again thanks to all and tie one on!