Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AF_Tier

Foam Money Saver

Felt bad about dragging my wife through Sportsman's Warehouse today, so I tagged along while she shopped in Joann's (crafty store).

Then I saw the sheets of 2mm foam they had in the kids craft section, in more colors than you can shake a stick at. Same consistency as the foam in 3" squares for $2.49, and they were only 69 cents a pop! Hello flourescent foam ants!

I also bought some new thread for re-wrapping an old rod, a Flambeau tackle box that's 4" high and perfect for storing extra reels (both fly and standard), and some scissors.

I might not have fit in with the standard Joann's crowd (don't see many quilters in Carhartts and flannel), but I'll be going back! Just to help my wife shop, of course.

Frank

Felt bad about dragging my wife through Sportsman's Warehouse today, so I tagged along while she shopped in Joann's (crafty store).

Then I saw the sheets of 2mm foam they had in the kids craft section, in more colors than you can shake a stick at. Same consistency as the foam in 3" squares for $2.49, and they were only 69 cents a pop! Hello flourescent foam ants!

I also bought some new thread for re-wrapping an old rod, a Flambeau tackle box that's 4" high and perfect for storing extra reels (both fly and standard), and some scissors.

I might not have fit in with the standard Joann's crowd (don't see many quilters in Carhartts and flannel), but I'll be going back! Just to help my wife shop, of course.

Frank

I actually get all of my closed cell foam from craftstores you can get 5 sheets of foam to one package of like cabelas or anyother stores

Yea you will be really suprised to what you can find/use for flies from craft stores.Every time i used to go to sportsmans next door was a hobbylobby and man i could find more stuff at the hobbylobby than at sportsmans for way less.

next time your in there pick up some embrodry yarn its perfect for woven flies

I almost did that, since the pattern of the week is the Bitch Creek, and I'm burning through chenille.

Next time!

My wife and I are both on the JoAnn's Fabrics special cusomers list. I need to use my work address for mine. They send out a flyer with some great coupons every week or so. I find a lot of interesting things there to play around with. It just keeps things fun. Check out the yarn section some time.

Check the dollar stores out!!

The one I go to I took a fly in to show her what I was doing now she points things out to me and gives me deals when she is trying to sell things off.

Foam sheets are 12" X 9" for 50cents. I asked here if she could get me different colors and she ordered them for me.

Halloween is jack pot time hair extentions many colors great for Pike flies and $1.00 each (Make many flies)

Raffia hula skirt $1.00 many colors to chose from. Ribbon and wool and and and...............

Thanks I'm on my way to the dollar store now!!

Blessings,

Jeremy

I live a small rural area so we don't have these big retail stores close by except Walmart, about 10miles away, my daughter is a dept., mgr., there. There crafts depart. is just loaded with various foam materials and lots of other neat stuff I use for tying. Their fabric dept., also has some nice yarns too. My daughter get's a big kick out of seeing me wander around the fabric dept :)

They just opened a Dollar General outside of town so going to check that out too.

Mike

I hear you guys on the foam thing! I have more foam than I know what to do with. I bought just about every color I could find. I have a whole basket dedicated to the stuff.

Hi Frank (and group),

We get a lot of our tying supplies at non-traditional stores and wholesalers. Listed are a few that come to mind:

1. Dollar stores - tubes for tube flies made from the plastic "stick" with cotton on both ends called a swab. Make sure to get the swabs with the hollow plastic handle rather than the twisted paper type handle - 500 per $1.00

2. Cost-Co (or restaurant supply house): drink stir type plastice straws (small diameter than a regular drink straw) 1000 for less than $10.00

3. Lowe's or Home Depot: Backer rod foam for popper heads and many other building products that make great at-the-vise materials.

4. Harbor Freight - measuring/cutting tools for foam sheeting plus a set of punches for cutting popper heads out of blocks of foam (or sheet foam glued together).

5. Packing foam sheeting for LaFontaine type patterns salvaged from computer packing (or computers stores). The easiest way to color this foam is with a felt-tip marker then coat the colored foam with Aqua Flex (or other flexible, water based glue) to keep the marking from coming off the foam.

6. Tyvek for dry-fly wings at a building supply store or salvaged from a constructions site or Priority Mail envelopes.

The list can be almost endless and a lot of fun to locate. We often just go on scrounging trips just to see what great new items we can find. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

If you have a Micheals near you they have an array of 2mm foam in plenty of colors as well. I buy a lot

of tan and brown from them.

Pat