Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
foambug

crappie flies

i am looking for at least for good spring crappie patterns that i can tie up ......any recommedations ?

There are a whole lot of bluegill patterns on this site that will work for you!!

My personal favorate would have to be a scud of some sort and 20inchs fron that some sort of foam fly :thumbup:

I'm sure your going to get lots of replies on this one.

Blessings,

Jeremy

I caught a bunch of crappies, several Fish Ohio fish (13+ inches for crappies) on the fly last spring-summer. When they were in shallow, I was throwing a #6 hackle wing streamer I tie similar to a Black Ghost pattern. I modify the colors to match proven crappie colors for me. I have them in white, white/red, white/pink, white/blue, white/black, white/chart., and dun (gray). Some of them I have done a floss body and ribbed tinsel over that, some just a tinsel body with rib and the hackle wing above that. When they were deeper, I used Clousers and variations. My best deep crappie fly was a #6 marabou Clouser tied with 1/8" brass eyes. Colors were more or less the same, white/blue, white/olive, white/black were all very good. I also lucked into an 18" largemouth one evening working the marabou Clouser deep. The bucktail Clousers seem to get deeper than the marabou in the same size, so I would essentially work the water column until I figured out how deep the fish were. Hackle wing for shallow, marabou Clouser for moderate depth, bucktail Clouser for deeper fish.

Guest rich mc

for 10 years my go to crappie fly has been the m and m . its in the fffederations big fly book. its tied by craig riendeau who has been in some issues of fly tyer mag with his georgia bullfrawg ans a minnow with interchangeble eyes . basically a nymph hook with gold bead chain eyes pink blood quill marabou over white . rich mc

I use a two fly rig - the indicator fly is tied on a floating jig head - just some bits of hackle to look like a midge cluster. The trailing fly is a bead head nymph, usually a squirrel tail with rubber legs.

I catch a ton of them on white and chartreuse clousers...size 6......and purple leeches with chain eyes...for some reason where I fish for them...they love purple.....

Black over chartruese Clouser with a little holo-silver flash tied in. It is my absolute #1 go-to.

Don't be afraid to go big - I typically tie on size 8 Aberdeens and have plenty of dinks chasing it. I actually had a 5 inch crappie hit and hook on a 2-inch plastic.

Deeky

most definitely a good assortment of clouser will get you some nice crappies. In whites, pinks, chartreuse, black, greens. These combo have been good for me. Also one of my all time favorites is Al Campbell's Crappie candy. Many of your common "trout" flies will also work for crappies and gills :)

Mike

i am looking for at least for good spring crappie patterns that i can tie up ......any recommedations ?

Try a size 10 or 12 white or chartreuse bead head woolly bugger. I've done well with all sorts of panfish with ones tied with a body of Ice Dub instead of chenille. Very flashy and attractive.

Size 10 marabou wing black ghost... with opal tinsel for the ribbing and uni-stretch for the floss body. After some current resentment for how I tie Adams, ahem, Smallie :j_k: I'm a bit of a heretic with classic patterns.

Its been some years since I've fished for crappie, but when I did I had a lot of luck on a wooly bugger variation: white or yellow maribou tail, wrapped or dubbed maribou body, gold or copper bead head, and partridge soft hackle wrapped right behind the bead and tied so it lays back at least 45 degrees. In size 8-12 it was very effective.

Tom

I've done best with small wet flies that had a baitfish look, or small wooly buggers.

I've caught lots of crappie and bluegill on a very simple fly. It has a short, red wool tail, yellow and black variegated chenille for the body, and a few turns of grizzly hackle. I tie this in sizes 8 to 14 and the fish love it. I started out using red hackle fibers for the tail, but the fish would chew that off and the fly would lose some effectiveness. The red wool works better and they can't gnaw it off. This is also an awesome searun cutthroat fly.