Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
foambug

crappie flies

i am looking for at least for good spring crappie patterns that i can tie up ......any recommedations ?

Any, and I mean any, trout pattern will work fantasticlly also.

Crappie candy flies will work great most of the time. Tie a bunch of different colors, cuz some colors will get more hits on different days.

Also I've had great luck with micky finns!

chartreuse/white clouser deep minnow, pink/chartreuse clouser, chartreuse/yellow conehead woolly bugger, black clouser, black/olive conehead woolly bugger.

Don't be afraid of big flies. Crappies have big mouths and have no problem at all eating 3 and 4 inch minnows.

post-10077-1264556285_thumb.jpg

post-10077-1264556291_thumb.jpg

Hey JSzymczyk looks like a Cabela's 3 Forks outfit your using? Is so, great rod/reel for the money. Got 3 of them myself last year when they had a sale on them. Nice looking crappies. God I can't wait till spring gets here.

But with the winter we're having here in Iowa .... maybe by June I might be able to hit the waters :wacko:

Mike

It's a good thing we are all fisherfolks here and know what a "crappie" is....otherwise you'd have so many crappy patterns from tiers like me.... :hyst:

BTW, in my pre fly days , I would use small Missouri minnows or tiny...and I do mean tiny..spinner type plastic baits. Maybe a small minnow pattern, check under streamers (in the database) and just downsize them..

wow !!!! i have touched the happy spot!!!! all these ideas ...all for one lil fish !!!!! thank you all for the great ideas !!!!

I use Crazy Charlies & Clouser minnows. I tie them on gold & bronze aberdeen hooks with bead chain or lead eyes (depending on desired depth). These hooks will bend a little easier then the other hooks we tie on. Crappies love wood structure and when fishing for them I will get hung up occasionally and pulling on the line by hand (not using the rod) I can free the fly most of the time. The hooks are cheap so if you get hung up and lose them no big deal. Don't worry about their strength for fighting a fish. They work fine for Crappies. I've hooked Tiger Muskies using 2-4 inch Charlies fishing for crappies. Have not landed them, they see the boat and they're gone everytime. Like the gentlemen before-throw them big flies.

Steve

chartreuse/white clouser deep minnow, pink/chartreuse clouser, chartreuse/yellow conehead woolly bugger, black clouser, black/olive conehead woolly bugger.

Don't be afraid of big flies. Crappies have big mouths and have no problem at all eating 3 and 4 inch minnows.

post-10077-1264556285_thumb.jpg

post-10077-1264556291_thumb.jpg

what size of hook and dumbell eyes did you use.

thanks

camoham

For the crappie here in the river I fish, I use whats called an Alaskan fry say size 8 or 10. Something like a minnow with the color of say maybe a rainbow trout. They love it.

Ive done quite well early in the spring using small poppers in white, yellow or chartruse. You end up catching some other fish as well... but its been a real good crappie catcher in my experience.

There are alot of excellent suggestions here but my go to crappie fly is a size 12 peeking caddis with a grey partridge collar, one or two wraps to simulate legs. Fished slow and deep they are deadly. In the spring and early summer dry flies at dusk and after dark with a very slow retrieve.

For crappie, I usually go for brighter colors, pretty much the same as for white perch. It seems as if they will go after whatever gets thier attention. Short stips on the retrieve work best for me.

I love Crappie! My go-to pattern the past couple of years has been this one:

At about the 5:50 mark, there is some footage of the fly in action if the tying gets boring...

i am looking for at least for good spring crappie patterns that i can tie up ......any recommedations ?

Not exactly challenging, but a white marabou on a lead head jig works great. White or black buggers work too, but I've had better luck with white than black.

The problem with the jig is that you really have to be careful casting it.