Fly Tying
Gustav F.

What brand of tying thread do you use?

451 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Uni 6/0 and 8/0 for fishing flies .. Lagartun 74d (x-strong) for the pretty flies. Like TroutBum said, it's $5 a spool, but it lays flatter than a pancake and behaves incredibly well. Just not for use on flies that might end up wedged in a log or rock. ;)

Danville 6/0 waxed mainly or Flymaster+ as I tie mostly panfish flies and it's a good all around thread, strong and very reasonable priced.

Mike

Danville and UNI are my main threads. I like Danville much better than UNI, but UNI's smaller sizes have me hooked. I like Danville so much because of many things, its flat, its waxed, and it has thread holder slit thingy :rolleyes:

Danville and UNI are my main threads. I like Danville much better than UNI, but UNI's smaller sizes have me hooked. I like Danville so much because of many things, its flat, its waxed, and it has thread holder slit thingy :rolleyes:

A what now?

Danville's thread spools (and some other brands) have a slit on the top of the spool to hold the loose end of the thread when its not on a bobbin.

UNI 8/0 for dry flies and 6/0 for wets; kevlar for pike flies and Trico for the itsy bitsy work. So far UNI has never let me down, so I stick by them.

Danville's thread spools (and some other brands) have a slit on the top of the spool to hold the loose end of the thread when its not on a bobbin.

So does UNI thread spools...

Anyways, I loathe UNI thread cause it makes a terrible noise in the bobbin and it's a bit too course for my liking... I use UTC 70 and 140, and sometimes a Gudebrod 45 denier for dries or smaller nymphs.

For spinning deer hair the only thing I'll ever use is GSP thread, simply the best!

Mainly Lagartun now just tying flies for self.

But danville is my go to when I'm tying for production stuff for sale or donations where I'm tying a lot of flies.

Don't like uni threads they don't go flat enough for me!

Jeremy

So does UNI thread spools...

Anyways, I loathe UNI thread cause it makes a terrible noise in the bobbin and it's a bit too course for my liking... I use UTC 70 and 140, and sometimes a Gudebrod 45 denier for dries or smaller nymphs.

For spinning deer hair the only thing I'll ever use is GSP thread, simply the best!

No, some UNI types have this slit, not all of them. It just so happens that the main type I use (8/0) does not have this slit, which is a pity.

edit: I checked my spools and found that nearly all of my 8/0 threads are devoid of this slit. Interesting enough, the Olive 8/0 does have this slit, though it is the only one among them that does, I am quite sure.

If it doesn't have a thread slit use a razor blade and make your own. I used to use mostly UNI but Griffith's is usually in my bobbin these days for trout stuff. For warmwater flies it's usually Danville's and GSP for deer hair work.

Mike

Ivote for other as I use different threads. 8/0 and larger, I use UNI. 14/0 sheer thread and UNI Trico tread are what I use the most.

I also, have some Danville threads but rarely use them.

I was introduced to Gudebrod just before they killed their fly tying thread, but I had been unknowingly using it for a long time under Orvis' brand name thread. I would kill for Gudebrod thread today. The next closest thing is Orvis brand name but their colors are incomplete. The next closest after that is the Hook and Hackle house brand thread. Other than that I like UTC because I can really flatten it out.