Fly Tying
Gustav F.

What brand of tying thread do you use?

451 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I started ty8ing flies, my instructor suggested UNI thread 'cause it lies flat when wrapped. So that's still 1st choice. When I couldn't find it in the color I wanted, I tried Danville. To be completely honest, the only difference I can see is that Danville seems 'fuzzier'. I am left handed, and I tie in the mirror image to most of you, except when wrapping. I used to try wrapping clockwise (when looking at the hook eye from the end), but that didn't feel right. Now I wrap so that when wrapping around the bottom of the hook shaft, I bring the bobbin toward me, and away as it passes over the top. Now I'm comfortable doing it that way. I'm still quite new to this - started tying in Jan of this year.

Cheers!

Update from my side.

I have stopped using Bennechi short of those spools I already have. The problem is that pretty much all of them give me ravels, sometimes the thread seems to be stuck under itself (so to speak). A great shame because the thread is the best I've found so far.

Instead I'm using Sheer 12/0 as a substitute, but this thread too creates ravels every now and then. Fortunately it's not as often as with the Bennechi though.

Damn, is it so difficult for the producers to spool the thread on properly to the bobbin?

Guest Big E

I'm like most others...Uni, Danville, and UTC because it's what is readily available.

It would be nice if someone posted a US supplier for the other threads as I wouldn't mind trying them out...mainly because I've never seen them for sale.

I've only tried Danville and Uni so far, and I prefer Danville. I have Pearsalls silk thread on my wish list, though.

isn't Pearsall's thread for rod wrapping not fly tying?

I've only tried Danville and Uni so far, and I prefer Danville. I have Pearsalls silk thread on my wish list, though.

isn't Pearsall's thread for rod wrapping not fly tying?

No, Pearsall's gossamer silk is used a lot in tying soft hackles. It is fun stuff to work with, but you really have to watch your wraps, which is a good practice in all tying and something I really need to be aware of.

Never really was impressed by UTC ...stuff does'nt seem to hold up all that well. My top 3 would be #1 Gel Spun Thread! #2 Raymond C. Rumpf & sons (not sure if its still made...) and finally UNI.....I really can't find anything I don't like about Gel Spun Thread....Superb Grip and Strength with its given diameter

So I just bought some UTC GSP and am loving it. It is a very strong thread and it really makes nice looking heads. I am going to cabellas tonight for the corn huskers fly tying club and I am going to buy some more. Really great thread.

I use these:

Gordon Griffith 14/0 sheer

UTC

Danville

Gudebrod

Montana Fly CO Premium:

http://www.montanafly.com/mfc_tyingmateria...ing_thread.html

Bennechi

Lagartun

Pearsalls

Uni

I tie a lot of very small flies and particularly like Gordon Griffith...

PABSTBLUERIBBON_2_.jpg

PT/TB :P