Fly Tying
Gustav F.

What brand of tying thread do you use?

451 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

UNI for most of my trout flies. I use a ton of 8/0 in black, red, olive, and brown. I have come to prefer UTC for anything saltwater or bass, because I like the way it lays down for clouser heads. I also feel that the UTC 140 allows me to torque a bit more than UNI 6/0 while still laying flat.
utc is really nice for laying thread flat and making nice smooth bodies.

Well, might as well weigh in on this thread too. It's very interesting as I expected a different result.

I use Danville for general tying

Uni 8/0 when I want to go smaller

And UTC when I want to control how the thread lays down. The Orvis brand is similar to UTC.

Pure silk when I am off my meds and think I can tie a classic

I have to post this here due to the threadiness of this post...

I LOVE the UTC 70 and 140, but I go through my stages with different threads. Recently I had some issues with UTC 70 unraveling mid spool and I had to chuck two spools. I'm out $4 or so, not a huge deal, but I decided to contact Pat at Wapsi to tell him what had happened. He responded really quickly and got replacements on their way. When I got the package, he had sent me 12 spools of thread. 6 of one color and 6 of the other. THAT is what I'm talking about. Great customer service. He also asked about the specifics of the issue so they could try to prevent it in the future.

Two huge thumbs up for Wapsi and UTC 70.

Cheech

I have to post this here due to the threadiness of this post...

I LOVE the UTC 70 and 140, but I go through my stages with different threads. Recently I had some issues with UTC 70 unraveling mid spool and I had to chuck two spools. I'm out $4 or so, not a huge deal, but I decided to contact Pat at Wapsi to tell him what had happened. He responded really quickly and got replacements on their way. When I got the package, he had sent me 12 spools of thread. 6 of one color and 6 of the other. THAT is what I'm talking about. Great customer service. He also asked about the specifics of the issue so they could try to prevent it in the future.

Two huge thumbs up for Wapsi and UTC 70.

Cheech

Cheech I just kinda started using UTC. For me the heavy stuff for musky. Im really liking the versatility of it. Flattens out nicely if you need it too.

Id like to see more packages of thread where you can buy a bunch of colors. I see the color list and my brain starts losing function on what I need lol.

Im hearing a lot these days on Veevus thread too. I need to try it out one of these days.

I recently started using Spartan 8/0 thread as I couldn't get any black UNI 8/0. It lays down well, and is nice to tie with, but it seems to me that it's not as strong as 8/0 Uni thread. I had a lot more snappages, making the tension lighter on the bobbin sorted most the problem. IT's probably me doing something wrong though lol

Danville first (started with Danville as a teen and it's cheap) , UNI 8/0 second (I like uni but Danville is cheaper) and have a few rolls of UTC ( would like to like this thread but I have a tendency to nick my thread on the hook point enough that I break it too easily and it frays , love how it lays flat though.)

I use mostly Uni with some useage of Danville and UTC. The reason is availability locally. I like Danville and UTC a little better but it is not as available.

Hi Group,

Gretchen and I have been using Danville threads and floss for more than 40 years. It has served us well so we've not found a reason to change. Take care & ...