Fly Tying
Stippled Popper

More Poppers Tied For Display At Raffles

Great poppers. They are just amazing!!!

You have inspired me to try one myself. I have shaped my head out of cork, and was wondering if you paint the head before you insert the hook? And also, how do you insert the hook? I was thinking of cutting a slit in the bottom, but then I would have to fill it up with some sort of filler material. If i did it this way I would have to paint when the hook is inserted,

Thanks for any advise

Cheers

Mick

I will post some pics when I get my popper finished

Great poppers. They are just amazing!!!

You have inspired me to try one myself. I have shaped my head out of cork, and was wondering if you paint the head before you insert the hook? And also, how do you insert the hook? I was thinking of cutting a slit in the bottom, but then I would have to fill it up with some sort of filler material. If i did it this way I would have to paint when the hook is inserted,

Thanks for any advise

Cheers

Mick

I will post some pics when I get my popper finished

Cut a slit for the hook in the bottom of the popper.

A thread wrap should be applied to the portion of the hook shaft to be embedded in the popper body to help the cement hold.

The hook should be seated far enough into the slit so no part of the hook shaft is exposed but not so far as to significantly reduce the hook's gape.

If possible apply your superglue or epoxy to the slit before seating the hook. Make certain the cement used is completely and evenly spread.

Apply more if needed. Allow it to dry.

If there are gaps or if the slot isn't smooth with the rest of the bottom of the popper, I use Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler and lightly sand when dry

so the evidence of the slot is reduced or removed.

Allow to completely dry. Then paint. After paint has dried, apply a clear coat to protect the paint.

The final steps are to add a weed guard if desired and your tail materials

sorry to bring this back from the dead.... but really can these be anymore perfect?

sorry to bring this back from the dead.... but really can these be anymore perfect?

In a word, no. On another board, we've concluded he has to be an alien from another planet to achieve that level of perfection. Absolutely stunning flies.

-- Mike