Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
phly tire

A.R.E. roto-vise

Just ordered a A.R.E. roto-vise. can anyone tell me anything about it. i am just starting out and on a budget. it has rotary and looks like good jaws, comes with a material clip, bobbin cradle and c clamp.

Just ordered a A.R.E. roto-vise. can anyone tell me anything about it. i am just starting out and on a budget. it has rotary and looks like good jaws, comes with a material clip, bobbin cradle and c clamp.

I have looked at the specs on that a number of times. It looks like a great value. I am curious to hear what you think about it once you have used it for a little bit. You don't need an expensive vise to tie nice flies. If it works for the flies you tie, that will be enough. And whatever you saved will allow you more flexibility in buying tying materials. I hope you enjoy it!

David <><

I have looked at the specs on that a number of times. It looks like a great value. I am curious to hear what you think about it once you have used it for a little bit. You don't need an expensive vise to tie nice flies. If it works for the flies you tie, that will be enough. And whatever you saved will allow you more flexibility in buying tying materials. I hope you enjoy it!

David <><

it kind of reminds me of a ultra discount nor-vise at least by the way it looks. i cant wait to get it and start tying something. i will post when i do. thanks

the visual quality in some of the pics ive seen online would have put this vise at the bottom of my list.

I have a a.r.e. roto-vise. But, mineis about 40 years old. It was my wifes grand fathers vice. It is a nice vise. I like to use it sometimes. :headbang:

I have a a.r.e. roto-vise. But, mineis about 40 years old. It was my wifes grand fathers vice. It is a nice vise. I like to use it sometimes. :headbang:

I think the old one was made by Universal wasn't it? I thought the ARE was a redesign of the original. What is the rotary function like? Is it relatively smooth? And how effectively can you center the hook shank? It has to be somethig that other designers like Norm Norlander were aware of. Norm seems to have taken the concept to an extreme with the precision ball bearing races, but the basic concept of the design seem similar other that the high speed spinning, I would imagine.

It does not have a name on it. So it could be a universal vice. The rotary function is pretty good. It is verly smooth. The hook is not centered real good went you rotate it. I like useing it went I am tying a lot of buggers and green weines. I use another vice most times :headbang:

Hi Group,

I'm with David on this one. I have a couple of old Universal vises that were manufactured in the 60s or maybe earlier. The A. R. E vise is a Chinese remake of the Universal. I bought a couple dozen of them about 3 years ago for tying classes with my local fly-fishing club. I still have one and they are quite good given the price. In fact the cosmetics on the ARE vise are a little better than the original Universal but understand my Universal vises are around 60 years old so it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com