Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Keeping Scissors Handy

I know this is Big Daddy Hubbard territory but I read something a week or so ago and it has really helped me out quite a bit. When I'm tying I have material spread out everywhere on my table and it quite the disaster. Whenever I was tying and I would clip or trim something with my scissors I would lay them back down somewhere in the middle of the mess, and when I needed them again I would always have to scan for a few seconds to find them.

I read a great tip that has really helped me out. When tying keep your scissors in the palm of your hand. When I first read this I thought it would be awkward and it was at first. After a few hours I have gotten use to it and now I feel awkward if I don't have them in the palm of my hand. This has helped out more than you know and it is nice to have the most used tool always right there in the palm of your hand.

Will, good tip! Commercial tyers do that, it also saves time when tying a lot of flies. It does require a good pair of tying scissors with large finger loops, they have to be comfortable to use this way or become very annoying, and sometimes even painful to use.

Yeah, I agree. Scissors in hand is the best way. It's how I use the scissors when I'm tying in bulk. When I'm screwing around and experimenting, I usually don't care. But when it comes to production tying, every second you can take off helps in long run.

I do it too. When I first started tying, it was like, wrap...tie...find where I lay the scissors...do it all over again. When I read something that mentioned keeping the scissors palmed, I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but it was really easy. Now, like smalliehunter said, it feels strange without them.

For anybody who doesn't do this, I strongly suggest trying. It is a real time saver. As you hold them to snip something, just withdraw your index finger, leaving the second finger through the loop, and swing them into your palm. CLOSE THEM FIRST! As you get really comfortable, you'll find yourself snipping in all sorts of new ways. I sometimes just flip them up, barely insert my thumb into the unused ring, snip and flip!

you fellas may also want to try this tip, I have a small cord lanyard that came from a camera tether. On each end is aclip. I clip oneto my shirt and the other to one of the finger loops of my scissors, and they are always with me. Trimming deer hair can be a pain if your hands are full!! lol

Sign in to follow this